Chapter Sixteen: Competition Team Building

“Pssst. Tori!” Macy whisper yelled from next to me in English. I ignored her and continued to read in my book.

“Tori!” she whispered again, this time annoyed. I sighed and looked over at her, “What?!” I whispered back. Macy smiled, “How excited are you?” she asked with a smile. I rolled my eyes. Today after school my competition team was leaving for our first competition in Pittsburg. “Really excited.” I answered, “Now let me work.”

“Miss Mason, Miss Calvin. Would you care to share with the class?” Mr. Wright asked from his desk. I looked up at him quickly, “No sir.” I answered before turning back to my book.

“Bitch.” I hissed to Macy. She laughed quietly and turned back to her own book.

***

“Do you have to go?” Jem whined for the tenth time. He was spread out across my bed staring at the ceiling. I rolled my eyes and threw more make up into my bag.

“Yes Jem. I have to go. You’re starting to get worse than Lilly.”

“Hey!” she protested from the closet. She was sitting on the floor going through one of the boxes we had yet to unpack.

“Sorry Lilly-pop.” I said and turned back to my duffle bag. I was running over my check list in my head, clothes, make up, phone, charger, laptop, hair supplies, and accessories.

“I think I have everything.” I announced to the room, “What are you looking for?” I asked Lilly looking at the mess she and Sparky were making in the closet.

“My yearbook. I want to prove to Jasmine that Mackenzie Foy went to my school!” she said like I should understand what the big deal was.

“Oh.” I said and rolled my eyes, “Just pick up your mess when you’re done.” I zipped up my suitcase.

“I guess that means you’re really going to leave?” Jem asked sitting up.

I nodded my head, but rolled my eyes at him, “It’s two nights Jem, I think you’ll live.”

“I don’t think I will.”

“And you and Fiona are driving out to watch tomorrow. It’s not going to be that bad.” I said walking over to him. He smiled softly, “I’m still going to miss you.” He said and kissed me softly. Lilly gagged in the background, “I’m out!” she said and picked up Sparky before leaving. Jem chuckled and pulled me into another kiss.

I pulled away reluctantly, “I’m going to be late.” I said a little breathless. Jem pouted and I giggled. “Come on.” I said detangling myself from him, “I want to say goodbye to Carmen.” I picked up his sweatshirt and pulled it on over my Hollister t-shirt.

“You really need a winter jacket.” He said picking up my duffle bag. I swung my backpack with my dance shoes and clothes onto my back, “I haven’t had time to go buy one.” I said walking out to the hallway and down to the first floor.

“Meet you in the truck!” I called turning towards Carmen’s room. I knocked softly on the door before pushing it open. She was reading a book in bed. She set it down and smiled as I came in. “I came to say goodbye.” I said with a smile. Carmen smiled back and patted the bed next to her.

“I want to give you something for good luck.” She said softly and reached into her nightstand drawer. She pulled out a small velvet box and handed it to me.

“It was your mother’s. She gave it to me just before we left and told me ‘Don’t go crazy out in the sticks, always remember me.’ I want you to have it now.” Carmen smiled softly and I saw a tear escape from the corner of her eye. Often times I forgot that when I lost my parents, Carmen lost her best friend.