Chapter Two: A Brand New Life

Eleven days. That’s how long I had to pack my entire life and get on a plane. Eleven days. That’s how long I had to say goodbye forever to my best friends. Eleven days. That’s how long I had to accept the fact that Mom and Dad were never coming home. Eleven days has passed. Now I’m on a plane to Pennsylvania. On the other side of the country, where there’s a lot of trees, and it gets cold.

I shuddered in my plane seat at the thought of the cold. Yesterday had been the funeral. Not that many people were there. Even though my dad was well known, I didn’t want everyone there. When Carmen showed up in our house she was sweet, caring and understanding. She braided Lilly’s hair, and helped us pack. But she wasn’t mom. She told us about Peter, her husband. He sounded nice, and caring, but he wasn’t dad. She told us about her kids, all six of them. I hated loud noises.

Every part of my new life sounded unpleasant to me. I hated that we weren’t going to live in a city. I hated that I was only a few minutes away from facing James for the first time in almost two years. I was nervous about seeing him. Would he be the same? Was I the same? I was worried about Lilly. I hated that I have to change schools. And worst of all, I hated that all of our money was locked away.

Carmen gently shook my shoulder. I turned my head to look at her and popped out my ear phones. “We’re landing sweetie.” She said and gave me a soft smile. I forced a smile back and turned off my iPod. When we touched down my stomach did flips. James was waiting in the terminal. Carmen had told me he was excited to see me. I sighed and look down at myself. I was wearing my favorite American Eagle jeans and a yellow camisole under my white sweatshirt, also from American Eagle. On my feet were my brown Ugg boots. I smiled. Being fashionable made me feel better. My mom used to love fashion.

We unboarded the plane. Carmen leading us and Lilly stuck to my side. She was dressed just as fashionable as me. I had her well trained. However she didn’t own anything without some trace of glitter on it. Carmen chatted over her shoulder to us the whole time we were walking but I wasn’t listening. I was too nervous. I wasn’t in the mood for meeting new people, or re-acquainting myself with old friends.

I saw him before Carmen did. Two years later and I couldn’t miss him. His shock of dirty blonde hair stood out in the crowd. It was longer than he used to keep it, now it was falling into his eyes and curling at the base of his neck. He was taller than I remember him being. On his face was an easy grin. When his brown eyes met my green ones his smile widened and he rushed over. Carmen let out a gasp of surprise as he pushed past her and picked not only me, but also Lilly up in a bone crushing hug.

“James?” I said in a weak voice, “You’re crushing me.” He let out an easy laugh and set us both back on our feet. I stepped back to get a good look at him. When he had left we had been the same height. Now he was a head taller than me, and he was muscular. That easy grin was still on his face.

“James dear, forget about your mother?” Carmen asked appearing at his side. James started and looked down at his mom, “Of course not.” He said and hugged her as well.

“Shall we get our stuff?” Carmen asked. Before we could answer she started off towards baggage claim. Between me and Lilly we had an obnoxious amount of things. We each had ten suitcases. Carmen had laughed when I apologized. She told me it was okay.

It took fifteen minutes to collect all of our bags. Each time I or Carmen set down another one James’s eyes grew bigger. When I pulled my last one off the belt James whistled. “You sure travel heavy Glam,” He said.

I scrunched up my eyebrows at him, “Glam?” I asked.

“Yeah, you’re Glam, she’s Glitz.” He said pointing to Lilly. “The two of you are dressed like you’re going to a party.”