Chapter Thirteen: Our First Date

“Jem!” I whined blindly following him, “Just tell me where we’re going already!”

He laughed, I could tell he was smirking while shaking his head at me, I just knew, “If I tell you it will ruin the surprise! Now be quiet we’re almost there!”

I let out an overdramatized sigh and kept following him, my eyes still closed. I tried to crack them open just a little but Jem yelled at me and changed his position so that his hands were covering my eyes. 

“James Michael, this is sooooo not fair.” I said in a threatening voice.

“Are you trying to scare me?” he asked with amusement, “’Cause it’s not working.”

I scowled at him. He stopped walking, “Are we there?” I asked him hopefully.

“Yes.” He pulled his hands away from my face. I blinked once and a smile spread across my face. I spun around to look at him, “We’re going roller skating!?”

He nodded his head, biting his bottom lip in a nervous way.

“I haven’t been in so long!” I said and grabbed his hand, “What are you waiting for?!”

He chuckled and started walking towards the front door, “I wasn’t sure if you’d want to go.” He admitted.

I gave him an appalled look, “Really? I love roller skating!”

“I knew that. But I wasn’t sure if you still did.”

I shook my head at him, “Not much has changed.”

Jem paid at the front counter and the guy handed us each a pair of skates and he gave Jem and key on a stretchy bracelet. Jem led me over to a bench and sat down. I sat next to him and slipped off my shoes. I put on the skates and smiled.

“Give me your shoes.” Jem said holding his hand out. I handed him my ballet flats and he put them in a locker with his sneakers.

“Ready?” he asked holding out his hand. I took it and stood up, my feet slipping a little.

“I think I might have lost my touch.” I said with a small giggle. Jem chuckled, “Maybe?” he asked and helped me steady my feet.

“You can’t laugh if I fall on my butt.” I warned him. 

Jem pretended to be disappointed and I laughed.

“Come on Glam, let’s get this show on the road!” I followed him out onto the wooden floor and we started to skate. I kept close to the wall, keeping my hand on it the whole time.

“Live a little Glam!” Jem called to me. I flashed him a daring smile and moved away from the wall. I caught up to him.

“I still got it!” I said happily and my feet slipped again. Jem caught me before I fell.

“Maybe I don’t.” I said softly and he laughed, “You’re cute.” He said and held onto my hands. He skated backwards leading me around the rink. A few minutes later I started to gain my balance back.

“I think I’ve got it on my own.” I said with a small smile. Jem rose an eyebrow, “You sure?” I nodded my head, “Positive.”

He reluctantly let go of my hands and I smiled, “See? I’ve got it!” I said starting to skate away, “Now you can’t catch me!” I called over my shoulder and picked up speed. I laughed lightly having the best time.  

“I’m coming for you Glam!” I heard Jem call to me. I smirked and took off, but he was faster. I felt his arms wrap around my waist and he pulled me close. “Caught you.” He whispered into my ear. Shivers went down my back and I smiled. “Darn, I thought I was fast enough.” I felt him chuckle, “How does some food sound?” He asked pulling me off of the wood floor.