Chapter Fourteen: Dance Your Heart Out

 “Victoria Anne Mason! If you don’t open this door I will break it down!” Macy called from the hall way. I groaned and sat up in bed. I caught my reflection in the mirror and cringed. Makeup was trailing down my face in tear tracks, and my beautiful curls were a mess. I threw back the covers and stalked over to the door. Lilly wasn’t in bed, bless her from keeping the door locked. I pulled it open to reveal Macy and Lisa standing in the hall.

“Thank God you answered. If I had to listen to one more phone call from Jem I was going to beat you and him.” She stalked into my room and fell onto my unmade bed. Lisa offered a small smiled before sitting at the desk. I shut the door and again and sat on Lilly’s bed, pulling a pillow into my lap.

“What happened?” Macy demanded.

“Nothing, just some bad dreams.”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“Really.”

“Jem said you had a break down.”

“Damn him.”

“Tori!” Macy rose and eyebrow. I sighed, I guess I might as well tell them.

“Lilly and I didn’t move here because my parents are touring Europe.” I said in a dead voice. Macy gave me a confused look.

“They died in a car crash and Carmen and Peter are our guardians.” I spit the sentence out before I could dwell on it for too long.

Macy’s mouth hung open, and in a matter of seconds Lisa was hugging me.

“Last night?” Macy asked. I shook my head, “In August.”

“So why last night?” Lisa asked quietly.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Sometimes, it just hits me. When I least expect it.”

Macy sighed, “Tori! You could have cuddled with him all night! He’s sweet enough.”

I rolled my eyes, “I don’t want to cry on anyone Macy, I’m a big girl.”

The door flung open to reveal a wild eyed Jem. His eyes fell on me and his face broke into a relived smile. “You’re okay.” He breathed and strode over picking me up in a large hug. I wrapped my arms around him and took in the smell of him.

He set me on my feet and took in what I was wearing, “Steal my shirts often?” he asked with a smile. I shrugged my shoulders, “On occasion. Now get out! We’re having a girl chat!”

“Ouch, that’s harsh. Meet me downstairs when you’re done?” I shoved him towards the door, “Whatever you want, just get out!” He turned around to look at me, “Whatever I want?” he asked with an eyebrow raised. I shut the door in his face and locked it.

Macy and Lisa began laughing hysterically. “Get your butt down to that boy!” Macy scolded me, “You can tell us about the date later!”

“Did you really come all the way to my house just to get me out of bed?” I asked.

“Yes, because I couldn’t take another phone call from him.” She stood up and kissed my cheek, “Have fun love!” and with that she and Lisa left. I shook my head at them and slipped into some pajama shorts, I didn’t need Benjamin seeing me in just a t-shirt.

I went down the stairs with a soft smile on my face, “Jem?!” I called into the downstairs, “In the kitchen!” he answered. I made my way into the kitchen and frowned when I saw him, “Who’s the breakfast tray for?” I asked pulling myself up onto the counter.