Chapter Seven: My First After Party

Macy and Lisa took me to the bleachers after getting me a soda. We sat there and hung out with a few other girls till it was time for the boys to get ready. Jem came over to find me before he went to get dressed. He came up behind me and gently lifted me off the bench. I let out a small scream as he carried me off the bleachers and away from the girls.

He set me on my feet and I turned to glare at him, “Can I help you?” I asked sarcastically.

Jem chuckled, “Chill out Glam, just wanted to make sure you were set.”

“I’m fine.” I said and crossed my arms as the wind blew. It was starting to get cold. Jem chuckled and shrugged out of his jacket, “Take this, I won’t need it.” I held it out to me.

I hesitated for a second before grabbing it and pulling it on. Jem smiled, “Wish me luck!” he called over his shoulder as he ran off to meet with the rest of the team. I shook my head at him and made my way back to the bleachers, my stomach doing little flips. Something about wearing his jacket put me in a happy mood.

When I stepped back onto the bleachers there was an almost audible gasp. I kept my eyes forward and made my way back to Macy and Lisa. When I sat down they stared at me open mouthed.

“What?!” I asked them, “Not you guys too.” I muttered. Lisa chuckled softly, “You’re wearing his jacket.” She said.

“Yeah, so?”

“Do you have any idea what that means?” Macy asked in an excited whisper.

I shook my head, “I was cold?”

“No, that means he likes you!” Lisa nearly squealed.

“Or just that I was cold.” I muttered.

Macy shook her head, “A boy doesn’t just give you his soccer jacket.” She started to explain, “He only gives up his soccer jacket when he really likes a girl.”

I shook my head, “I don’t believe you. He can’t like me, we live together!”

“That means shit.” Macy said, “It’s not like you’re his sister. And thank the lord for that Fiona has no fashion sense.”

I pushed her gently, “Leave Fiona alone.” I said and turned to watch the field as the boys came running out. I’ve never watched a soccer game before, so this was a first. I asked questions throughout the entire game, Macy answered all of them and by the end of the game I had a rough idea of how it worked.

The boys won, and Lisa informed me they hadn’t lost a game yet. As the crowd began to thin Macy grabbed my arm and towed me the opposite way of the gate.

“Where are we going?” I asked her trying to keep up. “Jem’s truck is the other way.” I protested. Macy laughed, “You’re not going home.” She said simply and pulled me towards the school. We waited out front for a few minutes before the soccer team emerged.

The first one out of the door was Aiden. He rolled his eyes up and down me. Suddenly self-conscious, I pulled Jem’s jacket closed around my exposed abdomen. Macy jumped on her brother’s back as he came out of the school. Laughing softly he paraded down the front steps with her on his back.

“You guys were awesome!” Macy cried from his back.

“Although we had to spend the whole game explaining it to Tori.” Lisa said playfully. “She knows nothing.”

Jem came up behind me chuckling softly, “Do you know something now?” he asked. I nodded my head turning to face him, “I think got it now.” I said.