Chapter Three: Camping?

James helped me carry the rest of our things upstairs and rearrange the furniture so it wasn’t just thrown in the middle of the room. When the beds were put up against opposite walls I started to pile bags onto them.

James picked one up and tried to help. He threw it onto Lilly’s bed and I shook my head, “That’s mine.” I said picking it up and moving it onto mine, “Lilly’s are pink.” I said indicating the pile of pink sparkly bags, “Everything of Lilly’s is pink.”

“Everything?” He asked and looked at me like I was crazy, “Everything.” I confirmed. I unzipped a suitcase, careful to look what was in it before opening it all the way. This one had my jeans in it.

James picked up a rather large and heavy bag of mine. “Lord, what’s in this? “He asked as he plopped it onto my new bed. I looked down at the bag and let out a giggle, “My shoes!” I said and unzipped it to reveal that the entire suitcase was stuffed with all my heels, ballet flats, and boots.

“Do you own sneakers?” James asked picking up a few different pairs. I rolled my eyes and dug to the bottom of the bag pulling out a pair of white and pink Nike shocks, “Of course I have sneakers.” I said and set them back in the bag.

“Now unless you’re going to help me unpack, you better scram.” I said and flashed him a serious look. James flashed me a smile and sat down at the desk. “I think I’ll just watch.” He said with a smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes and started to hang my things in my half of the closet. Lilly didn’t need as much closet space as me so I only left her a little bit. We’d have to get something to separate our stuff. When the closet was full of clothes and shoes I turned to the dresser that was going to be mine.

Just then a slim dark haired outline appeared in the door. I did a double take as I realized it was a ten year old Benjamin. I smiled at the sight of him. He looked at me weird, “Mom says dinner’s ready.” He said in a gruff voice before walking away. James stood up from his seat at the desk, “Don’t mind him, he’s mad mom grounded him.”

I laughed softly and followed James through the house to the kitchen downstairs where the table was set. Everyone else was already seated. James and I sat down in the last two empty seats.

“I see you found your way down.” Peter said with a soft smile.

Carmen shot him a glare before turning back to me, “Just a quick memory jog dear,” she said before re-introducing me to the older girls. Lola’s hair had grown darker over the past two years. Instead of dirty blonde it was now light brown like Peter’s. Fiona flashed me a friendly smile which I returned. The last few minutes upstairs had lifted my mood. It was an effect James had always had on me.

Carmen sat down at her seat next to Peter and dinner started to be served. Carmen had put together steak and potatoes, something quick and easy. It tasted delicious. Throughout dinner there was a stream of mindless chatter that I couldn’t even help to keep up with. Lilly had already made herself at home. Even though she and Jasmine were polar opposites they were talking to one another excitedly while Kelly watched them.

“Enjoying the show?” James whispered into my ear. I turned my head to look at him, “I’m not used to noise.” I admitted sheepishly. James let out a laugh, “You’ll have to get used to it.” He said, “I’m telling ya Glam, you went soft after I left.” That easy grin was on his face again. I scowled at him, “I did not.” I protested.

“Yes, you did.” He countered setting down his fork.

“No.”

“Well, we’ll see after the camping trip.”