The Relationship Writer - Chapter 17

I'll try to make this upload longer, to make up for all the time I didn't upload D:

Enjoy!

<><><>

Chapter 17

It was the only day I didn't feel like going to school.

I refused to get out of bed, in spite of my alarm clock and the sun peeking through the window. I just pulled the covers over my head and snuggled into my pillow. I squeezed my eyes shut. Going to school today would be like suicide.

But missing school would also be like suicide.

What the heck do normal people do outside of school? It's not like I would know.

I groaned, eventually forcing myself out of bed. I glanced at the clock, even though I didn't really care what time it was.

Wait, I do care. I have to care. Tardies go on permanent records. Permanent records are permanent.

Nevermind, I did care what time it was.

I had plenty of time to spare once I got dressed, but I left the house without another word. Both of my parents had already gone to work, so I didn't have a ride, as usual.

Which was what always left me with Aaron.

I took a deep breath, making a face. Aaron Ross was the last person I wanted to see right now.

I made sure my notebook was in my bookbag before opening the door, just a crack. I peered outside, over to Aaron's house. No one was on the porch. I exhaled the breath I didn't even know I was holding. I opened the door all the way, stepping outside. I closed the door behind me and let out a yawn.

"Hey."

I screamed.

I came face-to-face with none other than Aaron. Of course. He would be here to ruin my morning. I scowled, shoving him out of my way.

"Leave," I snapped, going down the steps of my porch. I was glad to see that most of yesterday's flooding was gone. I might've killed myself if there was more than an inch of water left. My feet sloshed as I made my way to the street, safe from the leftover flood water.

"Riley, you know your mom would kill me if I didn't keep you safe," Aaron said behind me. I rolled my eyes. I couldn't care less. I just kept on walking, stubbornly staring ahead.

"So I can't just let you walk on your own," he said. Hey brain, can I just tune him out now? Please?

"Riley," Aaron said, suddenly at my side. I gritted my teeth. I wasn't going to look at him. The bastard had ruined my night, my morning... maybe even the rest of my school year.

The truth hurts. I said that already, right?

"Please don't ignore me," Aaron pleaded. "Riley."

And that's how the rest of the walk to school went. I just pretended like the bane of my existence wasn't walking alongside me, while he followed me, begging for forgiveness.

"I'm really sorry," Aaron said. I took a deep breath, shaking my head. I didn't look at him, but I finally decided to reply, after hearing the same thing for the billionth time.

"No you're not," I said. "You're not sorry."

"Oh shit, she speaks!" Aaron said, sounding like he was about to cry tears of joy. "God, Riley. You don't know how sorry I am. You want to know how sorry?"

I didn't respond again.

"Well, I'm really, really sorry," he said, "and I swear I didn't mean it."