Chapter Four: Being Gifted

Start from the beginning

"Get back here you little brats!" George's angry voice boomed from behind and they're paces quickened along with their heartbeats.

"This way." Miles led them around the building. He had no idea where the track led to but he wanted to seem like he knew what he was doing. The image shattered when their path ended with a cliff bare of any fences. All three children turned around to run back but they were too late. George and his goons had already blocked their escape.

******

*Present Time*

Madison's POV

The atmosphere outside school was finally starting to settle down now that the fire was out. The firetrucks were now replaced with ambulances. Thank goodness there weren't any serious injuries as the top floor where all the storage rooms were had taken most of the damage. There was a nasty cut on my right upper arm but other than that I was fine.

I caught a pair of the most mesmerizing eyes I had ever seen staring at me. I raised my head and held his gaze. He blinked and his eyebrows furrowed. He quickly turned away. My cheeks were hot and I suppressed a smile as Emma sat beside me. Her face was bare of any make up and her eyes were puffy. She had probably been crying all day.

"How are you holding up?" I asked, playing with the bandage on my arm.

"I'm fine."

I quirked an eyebrow and her eyes welled up.

"I hate it. He won't return any of my calls or texts, what do you I do Madison?" I pulled her to myself as tears started rolling down her cheeks freely.

"I miss him." She admitted.

"Then why did you kiss Lucas?"

"It was a dare and he kissed me." She defended.

"You kissed him back, you could've just pushed him away." I countered and she pulled back so she could face me.

"I don't what got over me. I couldn't think clearly, but if I could go back in time and change it I would." She sniffed back a sob.

"Have you talked to Lucas about it?"

"No, he-" She choked up again.

"He what?"

"I went to see him later last night but I-I saw him with Samantha." She buried her head in her arms. My eyes went wide in horror and all I could do was put a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"You know what's funny?" She attempted to laugh in the middle of her crying.

"My break up with Brandon doesn't hurt half as much as Lucas' relationship with Sam does. I don't even know him but I feel this really strange connection to him." She confided and my head snapped back to Miles. It was exactly like that with him, except he was not a total stranger like Lucas.

"How do I stop it?" She seemed in so much pain I slightly flinched by the agony in her eyes. It was like someone had taken her oxygen away from her, like she couldn't live without Lucas.

"It's okay Em, we'll get through this." I tried to console her but I could tell that it wasn't much help. There was only one cure for her pain.

"Lets get going, or we're going to be late for our initiation." I stood up and a proud smile spread across my lips when Emma wiped away her tears and flashed me a hopeful look.

"Can I take you up on the girls night afterwards?" She tried to smile but I could see it was hard for her to pull herself together, but at least she was trying.

"I'm all yours."

My head turned around to find a specific face but a cord wrapped around my heart when I saw him leading Cassidy to his car. His arms were wrapped around her as she leaned on his shoulders. She said something and he turned towards her. The look in his eyes was like a slap across my face. I almost stumbled off my feet as I took in how he looked at her.