14 - It Was Always You

Last night felt like a dream to you. His touch, his kisses, his words. It all filled your head as you lay in his bed the next morning. After he told you that he loves you, you asked if you could stay with him for the night. Nothing else happened between you. You got up to your room upstairs, changed to pyjamas, went down again and just laid down on his bed with him beside you, slowly falling asleep.

When you woke up, Sherlock was gone, and you heard he was in the kitchen making coffee. You breathed in the smell of him on the pillows and duvet. There was no other place you'd rather be than beside him.

Sherlock stood with his back facing you when you came out of his bedroom. You leaned against the doorframe and just watched his movements. He was still in his pyjamas pants and t-shirt. As you thought for yourself, you started to wonder what last night really meant. You knew it meant a lot to you, but you wasn't sure about Sherlock.

You were about to go upstairs to get changed when Sherlock saw you.
"Good morning," he said and gave you a soft smile.
"Good morning."
"Did you sleep well?" he asked and you nodded. He added head slightly cocked. "What's wrong?"
You walked over to him.
"You wonder if last night was true, if I meant it," he said.
"Yes," you said carefully.
"I thought it was obvious," he said and sounded a bit sad in his voice.
"No, it was, or no, I don't know to be honest. It's just happened so fast." You took a break before continuing. "Did you really mean what you said? Do you really-"
"Love you?" he finished for you.

"You're different. You care for me in a way no one else does, and considering everything I've put your through, after everything that's happened, you're still here. Before we met, life didn't have another meaning than solving crimes, and I didn't many reasons to live. I even considered to-"he stopped. You knew what he would say. That he didn't have any special reason to live and therefore he considered ending his life.

"I fell in love with you, because you loved me when I couldn't love myself."
You just stood still and let his words sink in. He was so different from the first time you met him. Over the years he had opened more up, and now he seemed more human than the robot everyone thinks or thought he were. But you always knew that he was just as much human as everyone else in the world.

"So what does this mean for us?" you finally asked.
"What do you want it to be?" he asked back.
"You know that," you just said.

He leaned down and kissed your cheek, then your lips. You placed one hand on his waist and the other on the back of his neck. The kiss started to get more passionate and he pushed his body closer to yours so that you stood between him and the kitchen counter.

"Sherlock..." you moaned as he kissed your jaw and neck. Your hands found the edge of his t-shirt and lifted it up. Your fingers touched his skin and he let out a small moan. You started moving your hands to his back when he suddenly pulled away.

"What is it?" you asked a bit afraid you did something wrong. "Did I do something wrong?"
"No, it's not you," he said.
"Then what?"
He didn't answer, just walked towards his bedroom.
"Sherlock," you called after him but he didn't stop. You sighed. What just happened?

You came around the corner just in time to see Sherlock's back just as he put on a shirt.
"Oh my God," you mumbled. Sherlock heard you and turned around.
"What's that?" you asked and noticed your voice was a bit shaken. Sherlock sighed and finished clothing before coming out.
"Nothing for you to worry about, it's in the past," he said when he passed you and went into the living room.
"That's not nothing, and of course I worry, Sherlock," you said and followed him.

"Who did that to you?" you asked as he sat down in his chair and let out a heavy sigh.
"It happened while I was away those two years. Destroying Moriarty's network didn't come without some difficulties," he told you.
"They tortured you?"
"They tried to get information out of me, but I wasn't planning on telling them anything. Mycroft was there as well. He enjoyed the sight."
"What? Mycroft just sat there and watched them beat you?"
"He's Mycroft," Sherlock said.