16

the  e p i  l o g u e

two years later

JFK was full and bustling with people as Zayne stepped into it from the international arrivals terminal. His head was pounding and he felt sick from jet lag. He hated air travel. Groaning, he walked to the seats for waiting people and began looking around for his ride.

His phone buzzed in his pocket and he smiled as he answered the phone. "Ooh baby!" His mum squealed on the other side, "I'm so glad you're back! You're back right?"

"Yes mom," He chuckled, keeping his eyes up to see if she had arrived.  He hoped she had. "I landed a few minutes ago. I swear I'll come visit. How's Char?"

He heard his mum sniff on the other side, "She's graduating Zayne. You're all growing up way too fast."

Smiling weakly, he let out a small chuckle, "Don't worry mum. We'll still love you till death do us part."

He was grateful that the threat that hang above his head was gone. Now, he could go back to being normal. He could be with someone he actually cared about without Keith breathing down his neck.

Shivering at the thought if Keith, he shook that thought out of his head quickly. "Well....safe trip honey. Come visit me as soon as you settle into your apartment," His mum continued,  "I went to check it out for you and left some....house warming presents."

Zayne frowned, expecting to walk into an apartment filled with teddy bears and candy. That didn't sound too bad though.

"Goodbye mum," He chuckled, "I love you."

"Love you too baby," His mum sang before hanging up.

Suddenly he felt hands wrap around his eyes and he jumped, turning to find her smiling at him. He smiled at his ride and pulled her into a tight hug, barely believing she was actually here.

"Thanks so much for coming," He sighed against her shoulder, "I didn't think you would."

Cara Stevenson nudged his shoulder when they had pulled away and grinned brightly. "Whatever idiot,"She laughed, "I missed you too. Any more bags?"

She stared at his backpack and his suitcase. It was small but it had everything he needed. He shook his head. "I can handle these," He answered, nodding towards his stuff. Snorting, Cara took the suitcase from him and they began to walk. She slid her other hand into her black leather jacket, the clack of her high heeled boots growing louder as they walked.

But her eyes remained on Zayne as she smiled.

"It's so great to see you," She chuckled giddily,  "You look good. Italy did you good. You've got a tan and everything."

Rolling his eyes at the compliment, Zayne let her lead him to her car. It was a black Benz and with the outfit Cara had on, everything about her  reminded him of Natasha Ramanoff from the Avengers.

Two years ago, Cara had contacted Zayne to make peace with him. She'd explained to him their whole relationship and why they didn't work out. At first, he'd been upset to find out he was being used. But then, he remembered Tris. And then, he remembered how he truly didn't have feelings for Cara in that way. He couldn't have had feelings for someone so shallow.