04

04|g e t t i n g   h e r

Tris stared at herself in the mirror, closing her eyes slightly as she made a fist around the phone in her hand. She prayed that the pressure from her hand wouldn't accidently type random messages and send it to Max, embarrassing herself for what would seem like an eternity.

Cursing under her breath, she chucked her phone onto her bed, running a hand through her slightly knotted hair. She yawned, checking the time for the third time that day. All her friends had been busy all day, calling to check on her every few hours like she was a child.

In her small group of friends, she was always the one who had to be constantly looked out for and often hid in the shadow of her protective friends, who found it easier to keep Tris single than to risk her getting her heart broken.

Large beams of sunlight flew into the room, illuminating the carpet that she trode on and she savoured the feeling of sunlight on her body. With all the harsh cold weather that had been going on lately, the warmth outside was just enough to lift Tris' slight low spirits.

Her friends had been invited to party at Aiden Carlson's -a kid who literally barfed in Tris' My little pony lunch bag when she was young- in a few weeks and obviously, they'd extended the invitation to Tris, seeing as Aiden had forgotten to invite her.

She'd used the party as an excuse to ask Max out but she found herself too late when she stumbled upon Cara Stevenson and Max having a violent make-out session in one of the school's abandoned hallways.

She'd been avoiding him since that day, afraid that she'd either cry or yell at Cara. The sound of someone humming filled the air and Mrs.Jacobs' head popped up from the other side of the door, her usual smile plastered onto her face.

"Hello sunshine," she greeted, walking into the room. Tris nodded at her, too caught up in her own world to actually register her mother. Mrs. Jacobs raised an eyebrow, "I feel so loved,"

Tris turned to her and set herself onto her bed. Mrs. Jacobs patiently waited for Tris to fill her in on what was bugging her, since Tris always confided in her whenever she needed advice.

"I hate boys," Tris sighed, "Max and Cara were practically eating each other's faces off in the abandoned hallway when I wanted to ask him out. I feel like shit,"

Her mother frowned, "Language,"

Tris chuckled, waving it off casually and eagerly waited for her mother to comment on something other than her explicit use of language. Mrs.Jacobs was always good at giving advice, meaning Tris usually went to her first about her problems since her friends rarely had time to fit her in privately.

She pondered on what to tell Tris, her mind too occupied on trying to find a solution that she didn't notice the loud sound of the ringing doorbell. Tris raised an eyebrow, noticing how her mother didn't lose her train of thought and stood up.

With a house as large as theirs, Tris found herself only reaching the door after whoever was at the door rang the doorbell three times. She groaned audibly, answering the door with a huff but her expression quickly turned to one of surprise when she saw Zayne Mahone standing at her door.

He smiled, "Good morning. Close your mouth, you'll catch flies."

Tris blushed, pressing her lips together into a thin line. Zayne stood silently, his eyes grazing over Tris' body which made her slightly uncomfortable and she cleared her throat, stepping aside.