03

03| g e t t i n g h e r

For as long as Tris could remember, roaming the halls of Ridgewood high had always been a sport. The rules of the game were simple; make sure you didn't get in a popular kid's way and you'd survive.

The rules had now changed drastically as she was standing right next to Zayne Mahone, who was babbling on about football to Chase Brighton, his best friend. It was like they hadn't noticed Tris standing right next to them but every time she purposely fell behind, Zayne would stop and wait for her.

They stopped infront of Tris's locker and Chase waved at them, claiming that he had homework to finish up. Zayne nodded at him while Tris smiled. She really liked Chase as he was not as normal as he looked.

During the football talk, she'd noticed how many times he'd mentioned the words 'pokemon' and 'batman'. After hearing those words, she found herself shamelessly eavesdropping and biting back laughs at Chase's idea for a new school mascot.

Zayne turned to Tris and leaned against the locker next to hers, watching as she grabbed a ton of books. He smirked at her. "Goodmorning," he muttered, "How did you sleep?"

It had been the second time he'd said goodmorning that day- the first time being the time he picked her up in the morning. He waited patiently for the answer and she sighed.

"I barely got any sleep," she answered, "But I guess it was good. You?"

Zayne coughed uncomfortably, something he tended to do whenever she asked him about himself. She frowned. It was like he was rarely asked how he felt and how he was doing, which was quite sad really.

He noticed the look on her face and cleared his throat. "It was ok. I was up for a while just practicing but it's worth it if I don't want to screw up."

His eyes held nothing but regret at the memory of failing to keep the ball in his grip and he sighed, staring at the clean floors.

Tris noticed how people walked around, each of them caught up in their own world but taking a moment to glance up at the beautiful creature that was Zayne Mahone. She kept her head down, avoiding the confused stares she got for hanging around him.

He took no notice of them, his head wrapped up in his own guilt that didn't seem to fade away. It was obvious football was his life and everyone made that clear by putting pressure on him.

"Everybody makes mistakes Zayne," Tris nudged him, "Don't beat yourself up about it."

Zayne pursed his lips, staring at the girl quizically before nodding. The bell rang overhead, ending their discussion- much to Zayne's relief. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously before clearing his throat as Tris hastily pulled out her books from her locker.

"So Tris,"He coughed, "I'll be leaving a bit later than everyone else tod-"

"It's fine. I'm sure my friends can take me home," she interrupted, not wanting to be a burden him considering everything else he was dealing with.

His expression changed to a confused one as he watched Tris rush to class. He rolled his eyes and followed her, quickly matching her stride and stopping her. She looked up at him, squeaking slightly at their close proximity while Zayne tried to stop himself from just kissing her and getting the stupid bet over with.