05

05| g e t t i n g  h e r

Zayne threw a football onto the ground, wiping his face with the towel sitting under his gym bag and turned when he heard someone speak. Max stood behind him, a look of anger etched onto his face which made Zayne smile.

"What can I do for you Grey?" Zayne asked, rubbing the back of his neck with a towel. Max's glare deepened but still, he stayed silent and waited for Zayne to turn to him, which was precisely what he did when his question was met with silence. "Cat got your tongue? Or let me rephrase that, Cara got your tongue?"

Avoiding the violent urge to snap back, Max just huffed. "I'm here to talk to you about Jacobs. You're getting awfully close to her. Are you cheating?"

Zayne laughed, a deep exhalation that soon turned into an array of chuckles before he fell silent again. "You seriously woke up early to doubt my charm?" He laughed again, "I would've thought you had more to do but once again, I overestimated you,"
Suddenly, those words flipped a switch inside Max's head and he narrowed his eyes so quickly, he almost couldn't see at all. He took a step forward as a warning and Zayne smiled once more.

"Look," he picked up his bag, "If you want to win Tris so badly, speaking to her would help,"

"Don't tell me you aren't afraid Mahone. Obviously if I speak to her once I'd land her in my bed," Max retorted.

His confidence made Zayne's blood boil and just the image of Tris wrapped around Max made him sick to his stomach. Regaining his composure quickly, he turned to him and said, "You'll probably only get her when I win but you'll have her freely at least. I just thought that for once you'd be tired of getting my leftovers,"

And just like that, he walked away, leaving a red faced Max who began to piece together a plan on how he'd get Tris.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Tris stared at herself in the mirror again, this time with a smile spread across her face as she stared at the blue dress she was wearing. Colourless floral patterns were inked into the dress from the hem, delicately crawling up to her knees.

Rosy, her other red haired friend, stood behind Tris, smiling at her in a motherly way. "C'mon gorgeous," Rosy teased, poking her shoulder playfully, "Your hot date's waiting for you,"

Heat spread through Tris' cheeks as she waved her friend's hands away. Inhaling deeply, they made their way downstairs where T.J, Rosy'a boyfriend, and Zayne were waiting for them.

"You look gorgeous," Zayne told Tris. She smiled at him.

"You too Mahone," she chuckled as they walked out into the warm night. Tris looked up at the sky, admiring the stars that sat in the distance and longed for the nights when she'd curl up outside and stare at the stars for what seemed like hours. Zayne noticed the longing in her eyes but remained silent, turning towards the car.

The ride to the party was silent apart from the slightly quiet radio. Tris tapped her knees anxiously, taking deep breaths as she thought of Max. Every time she thought of him, her heart rate accelerated, making it harder for her to breathe.

She knew that the night would go in many different ways, some as unbelievable as the others and as Zayne parked infront of the double story house, she realised that she was hyperventilating.