11

1 1| g e t t i n g  h e r

Cara Stevenson passed by Tris and for the first time, she didn't say anything. She looked finished and Tris' gaze followed her as she walked past, the friends she had not surrounding her and she frowned, wondering why.

She didn't have much time because one of her best friends Tera rushed to her. A large grin was on her face and she tugged at Tris' arm. "I've got great news!" She said, "Max's waiting for you in the library."

Another heart clench. She felt sick as she walked to the library but the excitement in her heart proved to her that it was all just butterflies. The library was empty when she entered and slightly dark. The librarian had obviously gone for her lunch break. People weren't supposed to be in here.

Her heart thudded.

"Max?" She asked. Silence followed and she stepped further into the room. He appeared behind one of the shelves, a coy smile on his face. She approached him, her heart thudding and when she stopped all she could smell was him. 

"Hi," She said, offering him a smile. He smiled back, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. Her skin remained ticklish when she felt his fingers and she met his gaze. There was something unfamiliar in his eyes. A certain....distress she couldn't pinpoint.

"Hi,"He chuckled, his hands not moving from her hair. It was then when she realised how close they were.  Tris held her breath and she realised then that she was scared of this. Not because she was afraid that she was a bad kisser. Or that he wouldn't like her.

She was afraid of what Zayne would do. They were already on thin ice ever since that day at the park and had barely spoken since that day. It was now just a ride to school and back, no hanging out, no talking. But at least she could see him. What would happen if she did this?

"Tris," Max said, his fingers dancing in her hair, right by her ear. She met his gaze and despite how beautiful his grey eyes were, her thoughts didn't dissappear. She was still thinking about Zayne. How was that?

Sensing that she was distraught, Max leaned into her ear, his breath hitting the base of her neck. "Calm down," He whispered, "I won't hurt you."

Biting her lip, she smiled and looked up at him again. This was what she had wanted for so long. She'd wanted this ever since she'd first known that she had feelings for him.

This was what she wanted.

"It's not that," She sighed. Looking down at the ground, she scuffed her boots on the ground. He didn't need her to tell him what was on her mind.

"Zayne?"

When she didn't answer or actually look at him he clenched his jaw and nodded, stepping back. "Great," He huffed, "Just great."

Panicking, Tris grabbed his arm before he could move far and pulled him closer to her. The brave act was shocking to her as well but she didn't regret it when Max's lips quirked. Her hands went to the back of his neck and her stomach whirled with butterfly at the heat of his hands around her waist.

"I'm not letting you get away," She whispered, "I've waited too long and-"

He cut her off by pressing his lips onto hers. They were cold in a way she liked and her heart had skyrocketed. It was happening. She was kissing him. His hands rubbed her waist, pulling her as close as he could and her hands were in his hair, her fingers a tangled mess in his brown locks.

His hands travelled downwards and he lifted her up from her thighs. Instinctively, she wrapped her legs around his waist, not breaking contact and she felt him smile. She was doing nothing but smiling in her head.