14

14| g e t t i n g  h e r

two weeks later

Avoiding the cafeteria, Tris bypassed it and walked until she felt groggy. The school was huge. But somehow, news of the bet had spread. Not the bet she knew but another story. Winner gets to be quarterback. The fact that the public didn't know the true story made her upset. The fact that they thought she was being played for a stupid position made her even more embarrassed. So she stayed away from people.

Tris was walking past the gym when she heard it. The sound of something smacking against the wall and somebody crying. She paused at the doorway, peering in and she saw something she hadn't expected to see.

Cara Stevenson stood in the center of the gym, her hand wrapped tightly around a tennis racket as a ball bounced back into her grip. She was in black shorts and the school's mustard yellow long sleeved shirt and her eyes were directed on the wall, glaring.

She hit the ball, screaming before falling to the ground. It took Tris a moment to realise that she was crying. Without thinking about what she was doing, Tris burst into the room, startling Cara. She looked up at the brunnete, eyebrows raised as she sat next to her.

"Hi,"Tris said, smiling. The blonde simply nodded, her eyes moving to the ground. Sighing, the brunette awkwardly looked around, trying to think of something to say. When she couldn't think of anything she could use to beat around the bush, she spoke again.

"What's wrong?" Her brown eyes finally met the blonde's blue ones and for the first time, without the general coldness that enveloped them, Tris could see why Cara was considered  so beautiful.

"Nothing," The answer was immediate but the strength that should've held it wasn't there. She sounded so broken, it made Tris' heart clench. For Cara Stevenson. Her heart was breaking for Cara Stevenson.

That was a first.

"You can tell me," The brunnete prodded gently, "I may not seem like your obvious choice at a therapist but I'll listen. It's not good to keep things bottled up."

She felt like a hypocrite. Ever since Zayne left, she'd shut everyone out. Her and Rachel never talked. Meaning her and the girls never talked. None of them had approached her and she made it clear that she didn't want to be approached by throwing them the nastiest looks she could muster.

The nasty looks probably didn't do anything. She was sure they stayed away because they could see the heartbreak she wore on her face like a mask. Not once had that moment not replayed in her head. The one of her and Zayne, at their spot, talking and talking until the words became bitter.

Until she was running to another person who betrayed her.

"My dad is leaving, " Cara sighed, "He found out my mum is getting remarried."

Tris bit her lip, allowing her to continue.

"He's my best friend. I mean,  we've done everything together. Everything. And I know he still loves my mum but she doesn't love him," A choked sob left her lips but she continued after a moment, "And now she's getting married to a guy I hate. I can't even stand to be home."

Without hesitating, Tris put her arm around the girl's shoulder. This was the same girl who had made sure Tris never got Max. She was the one who taunted Tris when she passed by occasionally. It wasn't like Tris was the victim she taunted the most. She had other people. But Tris had been part of that.