07

0 7| g e t t i n g  h e r

Zayne Mahone knocked on Tris's front door at 8pm at night on a Saturday and she opened it, shocked when she found him standing there. "You look gorgeous," He said, a wide smile on his face. She looked down at what she was wearing.  Leggings and a baggy sweater. She raised an eyebrow, looking up at him again.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, opening the door wider. Her mum and her baby sister had gone to visit her aunt a few miles out of town and her dad was working as usual. No one would embarrass them this time.

Zayne leaned against the door, " I'm here for our date."

Tris was about to protest but then she remembered that when he'd asked her out he never said when they'd actually do it. "I need to change," She mumbled stupidly, not even trying to argue. She was beginning to see that with Zayne, she'd have to just go with the flow.

His eyes raked over her body one more time and he shook her head. "Again, you look gorgeous. Let's go."

Tris shrugged and stepped out, locking the door behind her. She shot her mum a quick text as they walked to the car, telling her she'd be back that night and looked up at the back of Zayne's head as they walked.

"Where are we going?" She asked, falling into place beside him. He glanced at her and smiled.

"You like silence right?" He asked as they stopped by the car. She rushed to open the car door for herself, smirking when he gave her a challenging look. "There's still the ride back sweetheart."

Rolling her eyes, she entered the car and waited until he was seated to answer his question. "Silence is nice," She said as he started the car. He smiled and nodded, not saying anything after that. They sat in silence for a few moments before Tris turned on the stereo. Some pop song was playing and she scrunched up her nose, turning to look at Zayne.

"My sister's mixed tape," He explained, embarrassed. 

Tris faked a gasp, "You've been riding with other people?"

He rolled his eyes, nudging her as a smile played on his lips against his will. "She talks more," He mumbled, "Trust me, I prefer you."

Grinning like a fool, she connected her phone to the stereo and played 'Old Fashioned' by Pan!c at the disco. She sat back, waiting for her taste in music to be judged but shock overtook her when Zayne actually began to sing along. He shrugged when he saw her facial expression.

"Tell anyone and you die," He told her and she placed a finger on her lips signalling that she would keep his secret. She still didn't know where they were heading and when the song ended she asked again. He stayed silent as they entered the freeway. 

She turned down the stereo and turned to look at him again. He noticed because his eyes darted from the road to her and back. "What?" He asked, chuckling nervously.

The thought that he was nervous made Tris smile even wider and she shook her head, sitting back, letting him lead her to wherever he wanted them to go. An hour later, he stopped and when she looked through the front window she held her breath.

Infront of her was view that nearly brought tears to her eyes. They were on a cliff, high above the buildings she knew were in the Hamptons and the sea was roaring as the stars twinkled above the waves.