06

0 6| g e t t i n g  h e r

Tris groaned loudly, turning to look at Rosie. She had a smirk plastered onto her face, anxiously waiting for what she hoped was good news and Tris finally decided to give up.

"We almost kissed." she mummured, pinching her fingers together, "We were this close."

Her best friend squealed unpleasantly as if the news hurt her but the smile on her face said otherwise. "You kissed!" She jumped, her grin almost splitting her face into two. Then she suddenly frowned, her bouncing ceasing, "Wait, almost?"

Tris nodded with a shrug. As much as she didn't believe it, she wasn't as sad as she thought she would be because just the fact that Max had tried to kiss her was enough. The two continued to walk to the cafeteria with minimal and hushed conversation before Rosie left, informing Tris that she had a  date with her boyfriend.

Soon, Tris got to the football field, her eyes moving to the tall, well-built blonde on the field- Zayne. He was practicing as usual, the sweat on his grey vest visible and his breath growing more audible as Tris approached him.

"How's your eye?" She asked, stopping behind him. If she scared him, he didn't show it as he turned to look at her. The eye that had been an ugly blue-back at the party was now normal, though slightly red. So was the other one. Tris refrained from commenting.

"Good." Zayne mumbled, grabbing the football on the ground. He threw it, watching as it flew in the air and landed a few metres away. A satisfied smile spread onto his face and he turned to Tris again, "You ok?"

She had a grimace on her face without realising it, and she blinked at Zayne in confusion before nodding. Instead of nodding immediately, he first gave her a long, analysing look, and then he nodded.

"So," He gestured for them to walk, "what's the plan for today?"

She shrugged silently, looking at her watch, and nibbled at her bottom lip. "Let's practice," she mumbled suddenly, a smile spreading onto her face as Zayne blinked back in surprise.

"Practice?" He asked.

Tris nodded, "Practice."

Soon they were both throwing a ball at each other, the only thing Zayne reckoned they should do after pulling her up on countless occasions as it seemed like she had two left feet. They were silent.Tris inhaled the grassy scent that lingered in the air and caught the ball firmly in her hands, smiling at Zayne.

Her mind wandered towards Max. The entire week they hadn't talked, like Max had been ignoring her for no reason whatsoever and she wondered why.

She caught the ball, tilting her head as she contemplated on whether on not she'd ask Zayne the question that was eating her up. Considering the hatred Max and Zayne shared, she didn't find it safe to ask him frequent questions about his enemy.

But, every time she even thought about keeping the question in, the memory of them closer than they'd been before plagued her mind and she was eager to know.

So she took a deep breath, hoping that she wasn't a mistake and threw the ball back at him, watching the smile on his face gradually fade into nothing as she asked him whether he knew where Max was.

"Busy," Zayne answered, throwing the ball onto the ground, "We've got to go."

Tris frowned and checked her watch, "Already? It's only fiv-"