12

Zayne Mahone sat in a diner, his body shaking as he waited for the man he'd invited to appear. He wasn't ready for this, God he wasn't,  but every moment he thought of giving away his life he knew that this was right.

The waitress at the counter stared at him worriedly. He couldn't blame her. Ever since he'd walked in he'd been shivering and he probably looked like a scared little boy. He sat up and tried not to seem so afraid. He was graduating this year.

He was a man.

The bell rang as the door opened and Keith walked in, a man at his side. Refraining from rolling his eyes at the fact that a bodyguard was present, Zayne leaned back and watched the man sit across him. He looked clean, betraying the twisted heart hidden in his chest.

"Zayne," He sat down and chuckled, "You called?"

There was an edge in his voice that suggested that he wasn't happy at being called by one of his henchmen. Zayne grinned, surprised by the sudden confidence that had overtaken him. The bodyguard didn't crack a smile.

"Yes I did," Zayne answered, "I wanted to talk about Italy."

Keith shook his head, "We talked about this Zayne. You lost the bet. You come to Italy with me."

Zayne nodded quickly. "Yeah I know. I know. 3 years in your service," He leaned forward, lowering his voice, "Only 3 years. After that I'm free. Max and I are free."

The older man chuckled bitterly, crossing his arms over his chest. He gave Zayne a long look before he chuckled again. "You think you can call the shots?" He asked, "Boy. I'm the reason you're not in prison."

"And I could be the reason you aren't either," Zayne shot back, narrowing his eyes, "I was a minor back then. I had no idea what I was doing was wrong. But now I know what's wrong. I've seen everything you've done Keith-"

The older man growled at the sound of his name but Zayne persisted.

"I know what's right and what's wrong. A word from me and we both go down."

The bodyguard took a step towards Zayne and he didn't even flinch. Instead his eyes went to the waitress by the counter who put her hand in her pocket. Keith followed his eyes before returning to Zayne. "You brought someone with you?" He asked.

Zayne nodded, "My daddy's rich. I can afford a bodyguard too."

He smiled and Keith turned red with anger. His composure was slipping, Zayne could tell. Instead of snapping, he took in a deep breath and sat back, "What makes you so sure I can't kill you in Italy?"

"There's two of us remember?" Zayne answered immediately, "Kill me and Max takes the information."

He was bluffing. He didn't think Max would do this for him. In fact he'd call him stupid. But of course Keith didn't know that.

And he didn't need to know that.

"You're a fucking twat you know that?"Keith shook his head. His face had lost its anger and he slumped back into his chair, "You really thought this through huh?"

Zayne remained silent. Keith chuckled again. He seemed to do that alot today.

"We'll done Mahone," He stood up, "I'm proud of you. Now excuse me while I go look for a loophole."

The two men walked out together, leaving Zayne releasing his breath as he sat back. The air around him was cooler and even though his freedom was 3 years away, he could taste it.

He stood up and walked to the door, nodding to the waitress who took off her apron and walked to the back of the building. Zayne stepped out and walked towards his car, his mind spinning with thoughts of Tris.