13

13| g e t t i n g  h e r

Tris and Zayne sat together at their spot, a laptop between them as they watched their second spiderman movie that night. That was when Zayne snapped out of his calm reverie and glanced at her. She was staring at the screen, her fingers moving through the ends of her hair and he cleared his throat, grabbing her attention.

She popped a brownie into her mouth and waited for him to speak. He felt himself tense up with nervousness and he let out a deep breath. "I have to tell you something," He said, his eyes drifting to the view outside. It was easier to tell her without actually looking at her.

She nodded, "Go ahead."

He paused for a moment, hesitating. Did he want to do this? Did he want to push her away?

Yes.

He was going to Italy for Christ's sake. He couldn't bear to think of her missing him. Waiting for him like she'd promised. He couldn't. Not while knowing that he had been using her before.

Tris didn't deserve that.

"It's about..." Zayne drifted off, carefully picking his words, "us."

A soft smile fell on Tris' lips and she slipped her hand into his. She squeezed his hand and tilted her head, encouraging him to go on. Biting his lip, he leaned forward and kissed her, savouring the feeling of her one last time. She eagerly leaned into the kiss, pulling him closer.

As much as he didn't want to, Zayne pulled away, smiling weakly at her. "I don't deserve you," He mumbled, "I really don't."

Wrinkling her nose, she leaned back, tugging at her lower lip with her teeth. "What do you mean?" She asked.

"Tris," He sighed, "I haven't been completely honest with you."

She raised an eyebrow.

"It's just that.....there was a bet," He couldn't stop now, not now that he had began. His eyes still weren't on her as he continued, "Two years ago, when we were entering high school, this guy invited Max and I  to a college party. We weren't friends but we weren't enemies either. So we went together and it was fun. Until...."

"Zayne," Tris squeezed his arm in a  comforting manner, trying to smile but failing. Zayne didn't smile back at her.

Breathing became difficult as he continued and he prayed he wasn't having a panic attack again, "They told us to sneak into a house and steal the statue of a Julius Ceaser's head in the living room. They said the guy that lived their had taken it from them and they wanted it back because it was their fraternity statue. We were dumb enough to believe them and we broke in."

"The owner found us and he threatened to take us to the police unless.....unless we did whatever he wanted, " The words just poured out of him, "It turns out that there was alot of money in that vase. It didn't  even belong to the fraternity. From that moment we started doing things for him. Anything he wanted, we'd do. And now, he wanted one of us to go to Italy with him. He couldn't decide between the two of us so he let us decide. And that's where you came in."

There was silence for a moment and as the story was being told, Tris had moved away from him. She was staring at the view outside, her eyes teary as she took in a shaky breath.

"Finish the story Zayne," Her voice came out hollow, empty- broken.

"The first one to get a kiss from you didn't have to go," He said simply. Silence again enveloped the car but it was short lived because Tris opened the car door and slammed it shut. By the time Zayne realised that she'd left, she was already a distance away.