prologue

To Tris Jacobs, having a crush on someone was literally poison. Knowing that someone could easily hurt her just by kissing someone else, forgetting her name and glancing at another girl was beyond catastrophic.

Even though she knew that having a crush could hurt her like this, she still found herself falling hard for her best friend's brother, Max Grey. His grey eyes always drew her to him in a way she was not quite familiar with and gave her butterflies.

She sighed, dragging her bag behind her as she climbed the stairs that led to her best friend, Rachel Grey's, large house. Tugging at her jacket, she let out a shaky breath, hating how cold it got in New York.

"Christmas huh?" Rachel asked as soon as she got to the top of the stairs. She was bouncing a soccer ball on her feet, looking up at Tris momentarily before stopping the ball. "The snow is a great opportunity to play ice hockey though."

Tris rolled her eyes, not surprised that Rachel had managed to squeeze a sport into the conversation. Rachel laughed at her expression and held the ball under her arms, brushing her moist brown hair out of her face.

"You know?" She opened the door, "I always thought these stairs were way too long."

She placed her free hand over Tris' shoulder, silently guiding her into the house. The sound of their footsteps echoed as the two friends walked into the house, silently whispering about school.

Tris couldn't believe that Christmas was over and school was approaching in a few weeks.

Just as they were about to reach the stairs, Max came down the stairs lazily, his eyes glued to his phone with a slightly angered expression on his face. Rachel noticed how Tris tensed up beside her and cleared her throat loudly, smirking when he looked up.

"Ladies," he nodded towards them, not even looking for a long time before he went back to his phone and cursed. Tris' heart gave a little tug at how he didn't even look at her, making her practically face palm at the fact that she was so hung up on him noticing her.

Having a crush on one of the most popular people in school was like having a crush on a celebrity who rarely ever noticed anyone apart from the people they deemed worthy of their attention.

Sadly she didn't make the cut.

She was Tris Jacobs, the person who was only ever noticed when she was with her best friends who had made it up the social food chain.

"What's the plan for today?" Max suddenly asked, slipping the phone into his pocket. He glanced at Tris for a moment, a look of recognition falling onto his face before nodding and turning back to Rachel.

She was perched on the stairs, rolling the ball around with a bored expression on her face from the silence. When he turned away from her, Tris found herself releasing a breath she didn't know she had been holding.

Rachel looked up at the sound of her brother's voice and nodded towards her best friend, even though she knew she was trying to avoid his gaze. He raised an eyebrow, like he only remembered then that Tris was there.

"Sleepover," She answered, running a hand through her brown hair that happened to be different from Max's. Instead of just brown hair and brown eyes, he had grey eyes and the type of hair that you wanted to continuously run your hand through.