01

01| g e t t i n g   h e r

Zayne Mahone had always found it easier to practice in the morning when no one was there to watch him play and he could focus on the game that he loved.He let out a deep breath, watching as the heat of his breath mixed with the coolness of the air, making it foggy. He smiled.

For many years, football had been a way for him to escape the pressures of life. He loved having to focus on the things like the playbook and when he should've moved or not. Girls and all the other things jocks were supposed to regard as important  didn't matter when he was on the field. Here he was free.

He began to jog, dodging the hurdles that he had strategically set up to throw him off his balance. His grip on the ball was tight, leaving him to worry about where his foot landed and not tripping. At the last game, he'd lost his footing and landed on the ground, losing the ball and almost costing his team the game. He needed practice.

The sweat on his face clung to his hair, making it stick to his face as he continued running, his heavy breathing filling the air around him. On his second lap through the hurdles, he noticed the large man seated on the bleachers, watching him. Coach.

Zayne sighed, continuing the last lap before dropping the ball onto the ground and jogging towards his bag on the bench. Coach walked down the stairs just as Zayne was wiping the sweat off his face with a towel.

"Morning Mahone," Coach said, looking out at the field instead of the boy who clearly had too much on his plate. Zayne merely nodded, setting the towel over his shoulders as he inhaled large gulps of air.

Coach sighed, turning to look at him,"You need to calm down and relax. What happened at that game wasn't your fault,"

Zayne scoffed, looking up at the coach for the first time and picked his bag up. "I screwed up coach. I can't let my team down like I did last year."

Before the couch could say anything, Zayne walked away furiously, swinging the  bag on his shoulder back and forth while running a hand through his blonde messy hair. He walked into the boys locker room and sat down, checking the time with a sigh.

He still had an entire hour before school started, giving him enough time to shower and finish off his Spanish homework. The night before, his mind had been occupied with the new challenge that had been placed before him.

Tris Jacobs.

He had never met the girl which said enough for itself. Zayne knew all the people in the school and the fact that he didn't know the girl meant she'd survived the wrath of the popular boys who made sleeping with girls a sport.

Every so often, he would notice how his friends commented on the passers by, who just blushed and continued walking. He racked his memory, trying to remember the brunette his best friend Chase had told him about but he couldn't even picture her. Only a mop of brunnete hair.

He stood up and took off his shirt, tossing it in his locker carelessly before grabbing a towel and heading towards the showers. A low whistle left his lips as he opened the tap and stared at the roof.

Senior year was continuing in an hour.He couldn't believe that after all those years of being worshipped in high school, he would be leaving in as little as six months.