10

1 0| g e t t i n g  h e r

Mrs.Mahone was as gorgeous as expected. She was blonde like both of her children and had a smile that lit up the room. Charlotte, Zayne's 14 year old sister stood behind her, giving Tris constant nervous smiles. She was cute.

"So you must be Tris," She said, pulling Tris into a hug. Tris held her breath, hoping she wouldn't smell anything. She didn't seem to because her smile never faltered. Tris felt Zayne relax beside her and she realised then he was close. She glanced at him and he gave her a firm but visible smile.

Tris tried to smile back but thought about the lecture she'd receive from him later. Her mum walked into the room, a tray laden with drinks in her hands and Tris noticed that her baby sister was silently watching the scene from her baby chair.

"Finally," Mrs.Jacobs smiled, settling into the empty chair as she put the drinks down. Tris grabbed the last cup of lemonade after everyone had gotten one and smiled meekly at her mum.

"Yeah," She mumbled into the sweet-sour drink. "I got a bit distracted."

Zayne's mum hurriedly brushed it away and sat next to her mum. "That's okay,"She smiled knowingly at Mrs.Jacobs, "We've just been catching up. We went to the same high school."

Tris remembered how her mother had recognised Zayne when he'd come to get her and smiled, registering the fact that this relationship had been a strong one before.

"That's great," Tris grinned, sipping her drink, ignoring Zayne's eyes. Zayne stared at her for a moment and scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. His mum furrowed her eyebrows but didn't say anything.

"Anyway," She said instead, "I just wanted to say thank you. For helping Zayne."

A sadness fell onto her face and the smugness on Zayne's face dropped immediately. Tris felt her heart clench and she looked at Eliza instead who noticed the shift of moods in the room because her face was screwed up into her 'I'm going to cry face'. Tris lifted her little sister and smiled at Mrs.Mahone.

"It was no problem. Your son is...very special to me," The words shocked her as they came out but she didn't swallow them. She didn't want to. She rubbed her chubby baby sister's back. "Excuse me. Eliza needs some air."

It wasn't completely a lie. Eliza looked like she wanted to cry. But Tris left out the part that she also felt overwhelmed by the thickness of Mrs.Mahone's sadness.

"I'll go with her," Zayne said quickly, his face void of emotion. "New York isn't safe."

Tris simply shrugged and soon, her, Charlotte, Zayne and Eliza were walking down the street to the park. Eliza stared at the world from her stroller, giggling as the air blew about the small wisps of brown hair on her head. Charlotte was ahead of them and she sped up when she caught sight of the park.

"Not too far!" Zayne called after her. There was a seriousness in his tone even his defiant little sister noted because she slowed down. Tris raised an eyebrow at him, her gaze turning to the boy before her.

"Since when did you become so conscious about safety?" She asked.

He shrugged, "New York isn't safe....Tris. Max isn't safe."