23. Disgruntled Employee

Start from the beginning

"I feel like you're trying to be someone that you're not," Julian said in a sympathetic tone. "And until you figure out exactly who you are and what it is that you want to do with your life, you're going to always feel like you have to prove something to other's when you don't even have to. I wish you'd get that."

"You say it like it's simple, like I'm just supposed to snap my fingers and not give a fuck about what anyone thinks of me." Aiden sunk down in his seat and jumped into a confession. "I've tried that already, numerous times, but at the end of the day, I'm human. At the end of the day, I care. I don't like it but I actually fucking care what people think about me, even people as vile as Kyle and Thomas. Don't believe the façade I put on. It's nothing but a front."

"And you think I can't see through it? Have you forgotten who you're bitching at right now?" Julian smiled, trying to lighten the mood. Aiden simply rolled his eyes. "Don't be such a sourpuss and shut down on me. Do you want to—"

Julian's phone began to buzz in his pocket. It was a text from Kyle telling him to read the latest email he'd just sent him. Julian's eyes quickly scanned the short message and he cursed under his breath before reluctantly showing it to Aiden.

The email read:

Since my brother isn't speaking to me right now, would you kindly let him know that I'm still out here covering his ass? Little Town Magazine is coming after him again with a new story that, as they claim, is from an inside source within Aiden's team. They're not giving me any names.

Anyway, this 'source' is claiming that Aiden's a closet homo and he's secretly hooking up with one of his current bodyguards. It's quite a reach and almost laughable because the whole damn world knows that Aiden's a womanizing playboy. Still, this 'source' is stating that they have some type of proof, so Little Town is interested in the source's case.

My friend Karla gave me the heads up and says that if this 'source' comes through with their proof, they'll be paid ten grand. Whoever it is, they're supposed to be calling Little Town's main office back in an hour to schedule a meeting with one of the writers.

If Aiden has any clue as to who this is, unless it's his crazy stalker bitch trying to stir up more trouble, he'd better get to them before they go to Little Town. There's only so much damage control that I can do when it comes to actual, tangible evidence.

And Julian, let him know that I'm sorry for everything. And that I miss him.

-Kyle.

"I never should have hired that fucking asshole!" Aiden tossed Julian's phone back at him. "Call and get his sneaky ass over here before he goes to Little Town. I'm going to wring his fucking neck when I see him."

Aiden jumped out of the car, slamming the door behind him as he stormed up to the front door of his house, not caring to shut it. Luckily, Julian still had Clayton's number stored on his phone. He hurriedly dialed it, and on the second ring, Clayton picked up.

"Are you doing this because he fired you? Humiliated you?" Julian asked. "Why, Clayton? I thought you were better than this."

"The bastard had it coming." Clayton laughed. "I really don't see what you see in him, Julian. How can you put up with him? He's an asshole! You're honestly wasting your time with him. You know that, right?"

"Shut up. You don't know what you're talking about." Julian tried to cover both his and Aiden's ass. "We aren't an item, Clayton. You've got it all wrong."

"Don't try to play me for a fool. I know you two are screwing. Joshua doesn't think so because he's stupid, but I know better," Clayton said in a serious one. "He'll never truly love you, Julian. He's incapable of it. Hell, he's still in the closet! How can you be in a relationship, one where you're genuinely happy, with someone who is afraid to come out? You gonna tell me you'd stand in the shadows with him? Nah, I know you. You're not built for that."