04. Defiant

04. DEFIANT

It had taken Aiden a few minutes to get his shit together after that incredibly awkward first encounter with his new bodyguard, Julian McAndrew.

After he got dressed, Aiden decided to take a shot of whiskey from his bar to hopefully help calm the nerves that Julian had unintentionally rattled, and then he offered to take the man on a tour of his mansion.

"You must get very lonely living in this enormous house all by yourself. I know I would," Julian said as he and Aiden went into the backyard. It was equipped with tons of space and a barely used pool. "I must admit that I do like this neighborhood, though. The only downside is how quiet it is around here. I grew up in the city; I'm used to there always being noise around me."

Aiden couldn't tell, probably because he wasn't paying enough attention and was a little buzzed, but Julian had been watching him like a hawk ever since he arrived.

Julian was an incredibly observant man, and he had come to learn many things about his new boss.

1.) Aiden might be an alcoholic. Julian has yet to see Aiden drink anything other than hard liquor. He can't imagine how fucked up Aiden's poor liver is.

2.) Aiden was extremely sensitive, making him easy to rile up. Whenever Julian compliments something about the house, stares at Aiden longer than what he should, or even when he flashes the drunkard a smile, Aiden flushes. Julian finds it to be annoyingly cute.

3.) Aiden isn't much of a talker. Of all the rich people that Julian has had the pleasure of working for, they all had one thing in common – they loved to talk about themselves. They loved to brag about their riches, their ten mansions, fifty cars, etc. It'd always been a pain for Julian to listen to. Lucky for him, Aiden isn't like that, surprisingly.

"What about you?" Julian asked. "Have you always lived around here?"

"No. I also grew up in the city." Aiden shook his head. "But I moved out here specifically to get away from all that noise. I like my solitude, the quiet... well, I used to like it all until you got here and invaded my personal space, no offense."

"None taken." Julian chuckled.

"Listen, I don't mean to be such a dick, okay? I know it's not your fault that you have to move in with me and practically babysit me like I'm some helpless child," Aiden started. "Please don't feel like you have to actually treat me as such. I'd rather you not."

Julian nodded. "Of course. Whatever you want."

"Honestly, Thomas is the one to blame for all of this." Aiden sighed, mentally cursing his father. "If ever you feel like I'm being a smartass or whatever, know that my anger isn't directed towards you but him."

Oh boy. Somebody has daddy issues. "Okay," Julian replied. "Noted."

"Okay then." Aiden turned to go back inside the house. "Let's head upstairs so that you can pick out which bedroom you want to stay in."