23. Disgruntled Employee

23. DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEE

The drive back to Aiden's house was a quiet one.

He had so many thoughts racing through his head as he reminisced about the last couple of hours that he spent at his mother's place. He wished that he could have stayed there all day, but Thomas had called Lydia and was expected to be home at any minute, so Aiden hightailed it out of there shortly afterward.

On his way home is when he began to question everything – what exactly has he been doing these last few years? How much time has he wasted with all the whores, the partying, and booze he'd been drowning himself in? How many years has he knocked off his life for having lived so damn recklessly?

Exactly how much time has he wasted by doing... nothing?

"You could've come out to your mother today. The opportunity was right there in your face waiting for you to take it," Julian said after he punched in the code to the gate and pulled into Aiden's driveway.

He parked and then turned to look at Aiden. He was gazing down at his hands, his fingers fumbling with one another. Aiden appeared to be distant, nervous, maybe even lost.

"Whenever you do decide to do it," Julian continued. "She's going to accept you. You know that, right? You really don't have anything to worry about."

"You're wrong. I have everything to worry about," Aiden whispered. "You heard what she said back there, or what she subliminally tried to say. Thomas would never accept me and you being together. And if I ever wanted to get the company back, this would ruin it for me. He'd never let his gay son run the family business, he cares too much about its reputation, his reputation, to allow something like that to happen."

"What? Where is all this coming from?" Julian asked, confused. "One minute you're saying, 'Fuck Thomas,' and the next minute you're trying to figure out ways to get back into his good graces so that he'll let you run a company that you never wanted to run in the first place." Julian paused, shaking his head. "What is it that you want, Grayson? Do you even know?"

"I don't know," Aiden muttered. "I'm honestly not too sure about anything these days."

"Well, do you still want to be with me? Do you actually want to run Grayson Enterprise? Do you want to be more like Kyle so that your father will come around and finally treat you like his own flesh and blood?" Julian sighed, ready to wave his white flag on this conversation. "I'm trying so hard to understand you, but you don't make it easy for me."

"I told you that being with me wasn't going to be some walk in the park." Aiden finally brought his eyes to Julian's, a million different emotions flooded throughout his body they stared at one another. "To get back to your question - I don't really know what I want right now, Julian. Some days I feel like running Grayson Enterprise is what I'm supposed to do with my life. Some days, like today, I feel like I have to make my shithead father proud of me, for whatever reason. I feel like I have to accomplish something great so that I can prove everyone wrong and let the world know – let my family know - that I'm not completely worthless. I just feel..."