Chapter 22

"Aiden! Oh my goodness where were you?!" My mom cried. She looked as though a weight was lifted from her shoulders.

"I was... At Henry's house." I lied.

She crossed her arms.

"Henry called asking for your whereabouts after school." Dad said. Their faces were no longer relieved, they were mad.

"Uh, I..." I started but got nowhere.

"Aiden Gecker you've got some explaining to do." Mom said.

Do it now. I told myself. Now is a better time than any.

I thought back to the warehouse. What did I have to do again? Focus? I asked myself. I did just that.

I stared right into my moms eyes first, focusing on her pupils. Then, all of a sudden, I felt like I was in control. I could feel my pupils dilate. My moms pupils dilated as well.

"I have to go. I probably will never come back. You won't worry though. You think it will be good for me." I said. This is easy. I thought.

"Aiden? What are you doing?" Dad asked frantically.

I finished using compulsion on mom and turned to dad. I said the same to him as I did to mom.

After I had finished I stepped back. They looked confused and it seemed like nothing was going on in their heads.

I peaked inside the house. The golden glow of the lights seeped outside. What am I doing? I can't actually be leaving. I thought to myself.

My parents were still dazed from the compulsion. My eyes were tearing up. They looked at me with confused faces. I couldn't handle it, I couldn't leave without saying a proper goodbye.

I wrapped my arms around both of them and dug my face in between the two.

"I love you guys." I said. My voice was muffled because my face was buried in their clothes.

The hug lasted for about a minute. They didn't hug me back, since they were still confused.

When I had finished the hug, I stepped back, taking one more look at them, then I turned my back on them and headed towards the Volvo where Thomas was.

I heard the front door of the house shut behind me. I tried to hold back the tears that were forcing their way out of my eyes.

Thomas was on his phone when I reached the car. I opened the door and hopped in.

"So, how'd it go?" He asked, not taking his attention from his phone.

"Fine." Was all I said about the topic.

He turned his phone off and looked at me. I was looking out the window, staring at the dark asphalt road.

"What else do you need to do?" He asked quietly.

"Compel my principal I guess." I said flatly.

Thomas started the car up and drove down my neighbourhood.

"Why do you need to compel the principal?" Thomas asked.

"He gave me detention for the whole month." I answered.

He laughed, "All ready using compulsion to get what you want huh? I think we're going to have fun."

"I'm not compelling him to get what I want! I remember what William said about compulsion, and we're not going to have fun." I argued. I was still looking out the window at the passing houses and trees.

"Okay okay, sorry." He said.

I sighed.

~

The school parking lot was empty, all except for Mr. Scotts car and the silver Volvo Thomas and I were in.

Dim streetlights lit the parking lot. I got out of the car and made my way towards the eerily quiet school. Thomas followed me.

"Why are you coming with me?" I asked him as he approached beside me.

He shrugged, "It beats sitting in the car doing nothing." He replied.

I rolled my eyes and just went with it.

As we arrived at the front doors, I realized that the doors might be locked. I mentally kicked myself and prayed that the doors would be unlocked. It's not like I had to compel Mr. Scott tonight though, I just felt it would be better if I got it over with.

I put my hand on the handle bar of one of the doors and pulled. Thankfully, the doors were unlocked. Thomas and I entered the school quietly. I was afraid if we made but one audible sound, we'd be caught and in big trouble. My fear was pathetic though because, we're vampires. We, or rather, Thomas, could easily take on anybody.

We went straight for the school office and heard Mr. Scott doing something in there. As we approached the door, we saw through the door window that he was doing paperwork. Thomas silently opened the door.

Mr. Scott looked up as soon as he heard the door make a sound.

"What are you two doing here?" He asked.