Chapter 11

I couldn't sleep.

I took about five sleeping pills but didn't sleep an ounce.

I trudged downstairs. I bet my eyes were blood shot.

"Morning sport, good sleep?" Dad asked as he walked past me, holding a mug of coffee.

Good sleep? Did he not notice my exhausted stature? I thought.

I walked into the kitchen to be greeted by mom, "Hey hun, how was your sleep?" She asked me, not looking up from her newspaper.

"Horrible, I didn't sleep at all, I feel exhausted." I said.

She looked up at me, "You don't look tired. Are you just saying that because you want a day off from school?" She asked, suspiciously.

"No, not at all. I just feel tired." I said.

"Hm. Why don't you eat some breakfast. Maybe that's why you're tired." She suggested.

I opened a cupboard and took out a box of 'Oatmeal Crisp'. I then grabbed a carton of milk from the fridge.

I poured the cereal in a bowl, then added milk.

I got a spoon from the cutlery drawer and sat at the table.

I put a spoonful of cereal in my mouth, but did the same thing as last night.

I spat it out on the table.

Mom hugged the newspaper close to her, "Aiden! Clean this up right now!" She demanded.

Why does everything taste so bitter? I thought to myself. I'm hungry, but I can't eat anything.

I ripped off a piece of paper towel from the roll and cleaned up, yet again, the mess I made.

"What happened in here?" Dad asked as he came strolling into the kitchen.

He was wearing his grey suit today with a deep violet tie. He had dozens of suits and ties because that's all he could wear to work.

"Aiden spat out his cereal." Mom said in an angry tone.

"Are you feeling okay?" Dad asked.

"I mean, the police had to bring you home yesterday and your suit was torn and bloody after the party." He said. He  put on his worry face.

"I'm fine." I said.

"Your most definitely not fine. I think you should stay home and I can take you to the doctors." Mom said.

"No! I said I'm fine! I can go to school." I protested.

"I think your mother is right, you should stay home." Dad said as he put a peice of whole grain bread into the toaster.

"I said I'm fine! I'm going to go to school and that's the end of the conversation!" I yelled.

I've never gotten so mad at a topic this small before. I just felt so irritated.

I stormed upstairs to my room to get changed. I slammed the door behind me.

I sat on my bed for a minute, just cooling myself down. What's wrong with you Aiden, your parents think your a lunatic. I said to myself.

I stood up from my bed and opened my closet. I threw off my pyjamas and got changed into a pair of khaki pants and a burgundy t-shirt.

I headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I looked at myself again. I looked even more pale than last night. Maybe I was sick.

I ran my fingers through my honey brown hair and sighed.

After I was finished in the bathroom I went downstairs to attempt to apologize to my parents for being such a jerk.

They were still in the kitchen. Mom was refilling her cup of coffee and dad was making another piece of toast.

They both turned to look at me as I entered the room.

"Um, I'm sorry I snapped at you." I apologized. I rubbed the back of my neck. A habit I had when I apologized.

Mom pursed her lips, "It's okay." She said softly, but she didn't show any emotion.

I stood there for a few seconds, not saying anything. When something overcame me, it seemed like I was in a weird trance. All I heard was beating, like a heart.

I looked at my parents, they didn't look at me. My eyes landed on their necks and at that point I wanted so badly to rip their throats out.