Chapter 8

We entered the building. There were people everywhere.

Slow, fancy songs were playing.

"Ugh, I'm already starting to regret coming here." I grumbled. Henry didn't seem to hear.

Why was I here? I hated classical music and crowds. Why did I want so badly to be here? I thought. But then I found my answer.

She stood out in the crowd, in a good way. She was absolutely beautiful. Her black hair flowed beyond her shoulders in curls. Her rose red lips were full and her eyelashes were long. She wore a light blue, strapless dress that was tight on the upper part of her body and Frilled below her waist.

I stared at her for the longest time. I heard someone calling my name.

"Aiden!" Henry woke me back into reality.

"What?" I asked.

"I said, what are you staring at?" He said.

His eyes followed my gaze to Grace. His shoulders slouched when he saw her.

"Oh, I see." He said. He sighed.

"You can go talk to her." He said, with a disappointed voice.

"Really?" I perked up.

He nodded his head, "Thanks Henry." I said and began walking towards Grace.

"Hi Grace." I said.

"Oh, hi Aiden. I didn't think you would come." She said with a smile.

"Something came up." I said, I didn't want to get into the details.

"It's really loud in here. Why don't we go outside." She suggested.

"Sure." I replied.

We walked out one of the doors leading to the yard. Outside wasn't as busy, but there were still a few people.

"It's nice out, huh?" Grace said looking at the stars.

"Yeah." I agreed.

She looked back at me.

"Let's sit down." She said.

She walked over to a bench and I obediently followed.

The bench was located under a huge willow tree that was decorated in small lights that looked like stars.

We both sat down simultaneously.

"You look nice." She said.

I tried to hide my blushing by looking down.

"You too." I said. She smiled.

"Wow. You heal fast." She said, looking at my forehead.

"Wha-" I began and brought my hand to my head. I touched my forehead gently and didn't feel any pain. I put more pressure on it and still, no pain.

"That's weird." I said quietly.

We sat in silence, watching people dance on the grass, and talk to each other.

A slow song began to play.

"Do you want to dance?" Grace asked.

I froze, "Um, I'm not really that great of a dancer." I said sheepishly.

She giggled, "It's okay, I'll teach you." She said and stood. She walked over to a group of people slow dancing. She made a gesture with her hand to make me follow.

I stood up and walked over to her.

Once I was just a few inches away from her, she took my hands and gently put them on her waist. The she softly put her hands on my shoulders. We moved slowly, just taking little steps.

"There, your dancing." She said, smiling.

I smiled as well, "This isn't as hard as I thought it would be." I said.

"No, it's a pretty easy dance." She said.

Kiss her, you idiot! I said to myself. It's the perfect moment! Come on, kiss her!

I leaned in, closer to her. Our lips were just inches away from each other's.

"Ow!" She cried, softly.

I backed out of her hold, "I'm so sorry." I apologized.

Her foot had dirt on it from my shoe.

"Here, I'll get you some paper towel." I said, looking around the garden for some.

"No, no, it's fine. I'm just going to go to the washroom." She said and hurried off.

The song finished, and everyone went inside for the speeches. I didn't go inside.

I just wanted to leave. I started walking to the front of the house.

Your such a clutz. I said to myself.

I put my hands on the back of my head in shame.

I started walking down the street to the car. Dim streetlights led the path.

Why didn't you stay and help her? Because she doesn't like you, she wouldn't want your help! I argued with myself.

I was so distracted with arguing with myself that I didn't hear the soft car engine approaching me from behind.