Chapter 10

I died.

Or at least I did die. For about two hours.

My eyes shot open at the sound of cars roaring past. I heard the sounds of footsteps and people talking.

What just happened? What time is it? I asked myself.

I dug around in my pocket for my phone. As I took it out, I saw that it was broken beyond repair. Half of it was missing and bits of glass broke off and fell from my grasp.

"Dammit." I said under my breath.

Wait a second. I said to myself.

Why am I alive? I just died. This was crazy. I felt perfectly fine. Like I didn't even get hit by a car at all.

I decided to get out from under the bush.

I got up and brushed myself off, noticing my bloody, tattered clothes.

People passed by and stared at me. I gave them a slight smile.

I had to see my parents. I thought and began to walk in the direction where the mansion was.

As I walked onto the property, I saw my parents talking to a group of people.

"Mom! Dad!" I called.

The whole groups heads turned to look at me.

My parents eyes widened, "Aiden! What happened to you!" Mom cried.

They both hurried down the stone steps to me.

"Son, where have you been?!" Dad yelled.

"I-I... Fell." I lied, hoping they would buy the excuse.

They crossed their arms and gave me a disapproving look.

"You don't rip your clothes when you fall! Now tell us what you were doing!" Mom demanded.

"I told you, I fell!" I said.

Mom rolled her eyes, "Fine! Don't tell me what happened. Just tell me if your hurt." She said, a bit quieter this time.

"I'm not hurt, I feel fine." I said.

"But you have blood on your clothes!" Dad said.

"That's just from a few scratches." I said.

"Come on, we're going home." Mom said and took hold of my arm.

I felt extremely sensitive, "Hey, ow! Let go!" I said, yanking my arm away.

She stood there with her mouth open.

"Aiden Thomas Gecker! What is your problem?!" She asked.

"I-I just... I don't know." I said.

"Come on." My mom said angrily.

My dad followed right behind her and I lagged behind.

~

We got to the house in fifteen minutes.

"Go get changed." My mom said, her voice sounded annoyed.

I obediently did as she said and headed upstairs to my room.

I changed out of the ripped up clothing and threw them on the floor.

I changed into a pair of navy blue Pyjama pants and a grey t-shirt. I then walked over to the bathroom and looked in the mirror.

I had dried blood splattered all over my face. I wiped the mud and blood from my body with a washcloth.

And then I saw it, my forehead.

It was completely healed.

"Huh, weird." I said.

Then I looked even harder at myself.

My figure seemed to look... Better. Like, more fit and buff.

I also had paler skin, and I felt cold inside and out. My face was also flawless. I had no blemishes at all.

When I was done in the bathroom, I made my way downstairs.

Mom and dad were sitting on the couch. Dad was watching sports and mom was reading a magazine.

"Um, I'm sorry if I freaked you out tonight." I said.

Mom sighed, "Just don't do anything like that again." She said flatly.

I nodded.

I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, "Hey, um, do we have anything to eat?" I asked.

"Have an apple." Mom said.

"Okay." I answered.

I scanned the kitchen for the fruit bowl but instead landed on the box of cookies.

Surely mom wouldn't mind if I had just one.

I quietly lifted up the tin lid and grabbed a cookie.

I put it in my mouth but immediately spat it out.

I expected the taste of sweet chocolate chips and cookie dough, but was overcome with the taste of bitterness.

I quickly got a cup from a cupboard and poured water from the tap into it.

I swallowed the fresh water in three gulps. Washing away the bitterness of the cookie.

I then got a piece of paper towel and wiped up my mess.

"Aiden? Everything okay?" Mom asked.

"Yeah." I replied.

I threw the paper towel in the garbage, and without anything else to do, I went up to bed.