Chapter 20

I looked around frantically for Thomas. How could he just disappear like that? He disappeared in a blur just seconds after he started to run off.

I looked at the group, no one else seemed surprised.

"Hey! Over here!" I heard the voice of Thomas in the distance.

I searched for the source and found him standing all the way on the other side of the circle. My eyes widened with surprise.

"How did you do that?!" I yelled.

He started to run again and in less than a second he was right in front of me.

"It's simple." He grinned. I was taken aback by how fast he approached me.

"All you have to do is use all the speed in your body. You gotta focus a bit." He explained, "just take a running start."

I stood in a running position, about to take off.

"And... Go!" Thomas shouted, and with that, I was off.

I did what he said and used all the speed and energy in my body. At first nothing happened, I was just running. But then, all of a sudden, the world flew by me in a blur. I didn't even know where I was going. The wind hit my face but I didn't care, this was awesome.

I came to a sudden stop and fell on my face. I would need to work on that.

I looked around at my new settings. I was in a huge empty field. I could see that the warehouse was far, far away. Woah! I'm that fast?! I said to myself, absolutely stunned. I could hear someone shouting. It was Thomas. I couldn't hear him that well but, enough to make out what he was saying. I think he was saying 'come back'.

I did so and took a running start. Everything, again, went past me in a blur. I was back behind the warehouse in seconds. Again, I landed face flat in the dirt.

I stood up and brushed some of the dirt off of me. The group clapped, "Nice job newbie. You've got some speed." Oliver said, impressed.

I smiled.

"Okay, Aiden. Next thing we're going to learn is hearing." Thomas said.

"With hearing, all you gotta do is focus on the thing that you want to listen to." He said.

He looked around for something that would be quiet enough when his eyes landed on a small brown bunny, grazing far off in the field.

"Try to listen to the bunny. Just focus on it." He said.

I focused on the bunny. I pushed out all the sounds around me and just listened to the animal.

I could hear it. It's little snuffles when it was eating grass and the small little hops it made. Thomas could tell I could hear it.

"Nice job." He said.

"When are you going to teach him how to fight?" Meagan asked.

Everyone looked at her. I had a bit of worry deep down inside. I was not a good fighter, nor did I like fighting.

"I was just about to get to that." Thomas said, his tone of voice sounded irritated.

"So, Aiden. Do you have any experience with fighting?" He asked.

I shook my head sheepishly.

He let out a short laugh, "that's alright. With me as your coach, you'll be the strongest fighter ever." He said, clearly dreaming.

I wouldn't even be close to an okay fighter. I have no dodging abilities, or strength.

"Let's start." Thomas said.