Chapter Twenty-Six: Alone

I drove back to the Cullen's ignoring the lump in my throat and the pain in my chest. Eager to be in the arms of my love, I drove faster than the speed limit allowed until the engine in my ancient truck whined at the force of speed I was using.

The truck was yet another reminder of Jacob, and I wished I would have left it at the reservation, but I knew that would trigger suspicion with Billy.

I reached the hidden drive and hit the gas pedal down further until I broke into the clearing, shutting the truck off and jumping out of the cab; slamming the door shut harder than I meant. Alice must have seen my mood and warned Edward, because before I could look up to the house, I was in his arms.

Letting out what I was holding back, I sobbed. I wished I could cry, feeling the relief that would come after that, but I couldn't. Instead I was stuck with sobbing heavily and screaming; and that's what I did. I screamed into Edward's chest, hurt that Jacob had just abandoned me, sad that I had lost my best friend, and angered that although these arms were perfect, I craved a different set of arms. A set of warm arms that only belonged to my Jacob.

I was angry with myself for wanting such arms wrapped around me, and realization struck me when I realized that I did have feelings for Jacob. Feelings I had been trying my hardest to hold back, feelings that I should only be feeling for my fiance.

These feelings came out of nowhere, and I had no choice but to ignore them because they would not change anything. I kept my eyes shut as Edward held me, my screams becoming quieter, but my sobs remained the same.

"You love him, don't you." Edward whispered just then, making my eyes open so I could see his reaction.
"What?"
"The reason you are hurt so bad, is because you love him - am I right?"
"I love you more."
"I know." He ended the conversation, kissing the top of my head as he rubbed my back. I could barely speak with the sobs that would escape my mouth, but I then decided I wanted to be home.

"Ch-Charlie." I stuttered, turning towards the truck. Before I could open the door, Edward dragged me to the passenger side and opened the passenger door for me.
"I'm not going to let you drive like this, even if you are indestructible, this truck isn't, and I know you love this ancient thing." Instead of fighting him, I nodded my head and climbed in, Edward sitting behind the wheel in a second.

It took him a minute to start the truck, the engine whined out with the force I was pushing it with on the way here.

He drove the way to Charlie's in silence, probably not wanting to say anything that would trigger my sadness. The sobbing had ended, but I knew as soon as I would hug Charlie, it would return. I was confused with how Jacob's rejection had affected me so much; we were naturally born enemies, yet a part of me knew we were meant to be something more.

Edward shut the engine off and I noticed Charlie peek out the living room window.
"Do you want me to be here with you tonight?" Edward asked, and it pained me to shake my head.
"No, I should probably begin packing and making sure everything is in order for when I move out after our... Wedding." I almost choked on the word, but Edward ignored it.

"I could keep you company, if you'd like." He wanted to stay with me, but I really felt like being alone.
"Edward, I'll be fine. It'll be really boring, I'll see you tomorrow." I promised, leaning over and giving him a kiss on the cheek before hopping out of the cab, not letting him argue with me further on the subject.

The lump in my throat had returned, as expected, as I turned the key in the doorknob. Swinging to door open, I saw Charlie waiting for me and that's when the sobs broke out.

"Oh, honey." He gasped, striding over to me to pull me in his arms.
"What's wrong? Did you two fight, is the wedding off?" I noticed a glimmer of hope in his tone, but not being able to speak, I simply shook my head.

"J-Jake." I managed to choke out, breaking into another wave of dry sobbing as Charlie soothingly rubbed my arms and back. "Is he upset?" He asked quietly, and I nodded my head, although upset was an understatement. "I'm sorry, baby." He sighed, holding me until my sobs would finally end.

-

I sat on the bed in my room, that has not been used in almost two years. Looking around the room that I was so used to, it seemed foreign to me now. I barely spent any time in here, and my eyes took in everything.

The shredded cast still lay on the ground from when I ripped it off many months ago before my escape, the black dress I wore earlier that day lay in a bundle on the floor beside it. The ancient computer sitting on my desk had begun to collect dust from not being used in a long time, the clock on my bedside table reading midnight; Charlie had gone to bed earlier, after continuously making sure that I was fine.

Now that I was alone, the pain returned but I did my best to ignore it. I felt bad for rejecting Edward's offers earlier, maybe if he was here he could take this pain away. It was my mistake to say no, but now I craved his presence. Sighing heavily, I walked over to the window that I had closed, and opened it; hoping maybe Alice would see this gesture and inform Edward, and he would show up soon.

While I waited, I grabbed a box I had brought upstairs and began placing books in it, leaving
Romeo & Juliet on top; one of my favorite books. I moved over to my closet and began taking clothes off of the hangers to toss them on my chair so I could fold and pack them when I felt an unnatural gust of wind flow through my room, the scent I loved so much following in after it.

Turning around, sure enough, my Edward sat on the edge of my bed.

"I thought you wanted to be alone?" He asked, picking up the book from the box and examining the worn out cover. Walking over to sit beside him, I pulled my legs up and rested them over his lap, pulling myself closer so I could rest my head on his shoulder as well.

"I'm sorry." I whispered after a moment of quietness.
"I understand, you're hurt. There's no reason to be sorry, Bella." He murmured, hesitantly wrapping his arms around my body.
"I shouldn't have treated you like that, though. You don't deserve that." I kept my voice at a quiet whisper.

"Bella, I promise you it is okay. You're hurt, I know." He reassured me, and I breathed in his scent heavily.

"I love you." I promised.

"I love you." He returned.

I'm sorry if these chapters are lame and small. :(
Please vote & comment opinions.
.xx