Chapter Twenty-Five: Announcements

Edward and I sat on the couch in my living room, waiting for Charlie to return from work. Telling Charlie is something that feared me the most, close beside telling Jake. Charlie was going to lose his daughter to another man who she loved, and I didn't know how he'd react to that.

My thoughts were broken off when the front door opened and slammed shut, and Edward squeezed my hand lightly before calling out to my father.

"Hello, Charlie." He greeted, and I whispered a frightened "No!"
"What?" He whispered back, "Wait until he hangs his gun up!" Edward chuckled softly before Charlie appeared from around the corner, raising his eyebrows at the sight.

My eyes looked down and noticed the gun he still carried, and I stopped breathing. Charlie walked over and took a seat in the armchair across from us, eyebrows still raised in curiosity.

"We have some good news." Edward began the announcement, and I started my unnecessary breathing again, in order to not frighten Charlie. "Oh?" He asked, eyes meeting mine before I noticed anger cross them.

"You're pregnant?" He yelled, standing up from his seat and I almost laughed out loud at the thought.
"No, dad!" I instead gasped, and he slowly but surely sat back down.
"Everything is fine." I promised, but noticed Edward glance at me from the side and frown slightly, he probably expected me to explain this engagement as "great", or "amazing".

"Charlie I should have gone about this another way, and asked you first before doing so, but now we are here to ask for your blessing. I have proposed to Bella, I love her more than anything on this planet and it would mean to much to us if we were to have your blessing in our marriage." Edward announced and I held my breath once more, worried of his reaction.

Charlie looked at me and glanced down at my hand with the ring on it, and sniffed softly. "If this is what you really want, Bells, then I will support you." He sighed in defeat, knowing nothing could break Edward and I up.

"Your mother would be proud." He said quietly, and a lump formed in my throat. Since my return to Forks I have been trying to avoid all conversation about my mother, not wanting to tease the small string that was holding me together for now.

Nodding my head instead of speaking, I stood up and walked over to Charlie, hugging him tightly after he stood up as well.

"I love you, Bells." He whispered.
"I love you, dad." I replied.

-

"Well that went better than expected." Edward smiled, leaning in the open window of my truck door. I was sitting behind the wheel, getting ready to go and tell Jacob. I knew it would only have to be me, Edward couldn't cross the boundary line.
"Yeah, it did. Unfortunately I don't think this will be any easier." I sighed, started up the engine and smiling softly at the sound I have not heard in such a long time.

"Everything will be fine." He said confidently, and I closed my eyes.
"I wish you could come with." I whispered, and Edward chuckled softly.
"I wish I could go, as well; but I think seeing me along with the announcement will anger poor Jacob even more and I don't feel like picking a fight with these dogs today. I'm in too good of a mood." I opened my eyes again and he was smiling happily before leaning in to give me a kiss.

Leaning closer to him, I gave him a soft kiss before leaning back.
"Let's get this over with." I said in defeat.
"I'll see you soon, my love." Edward said goodbye and walked over to his silver Volvo, getting into the front seat and starting the engine.

I watched as his car disappeared down the street and groaned, knowing I couldn't hold this off any longer.

-

"Jacob?" I called, knocking on the worn out front door of Jacob's house. Billy opened the door, smiling happily.
"Bella, it's good to see you." He greeted, reaching up to shake my hand.
"Hi, Billy, do you know where Jake is?" I asked, placing my hand pack in my coat pocket after shaking his hand. I wanted to hide my hand with the ring, and keeping just one hand in a pocket seemed suspicious.
"He might be in the garage, you can take a look if you'd like." Thanking Billy, I began walking to the separate garage that was a few yards away from their house. Sure enough, the door was open and I could hear music drifting out from inside, the sound of tools banging around could be heard over the lyrics.

"Jake?" I called as I stepped through the open door, smiling when he turned to see me.
"Bella!" He called happily, running over to hug me. Picking me off the ground and swinging me a little, we laughed as he set me back down.

"So this is a surprise, what's up?" He asked, the goofy grin never leaving his face; though I knew it would as soon as I showed him my hand.

"I have sort of an.. Announcement, I guess you can call it." I began, watching as his eyebrows began to raise in question, the smile already beginning to disappear.
"Oh? Let's hear it, then." Sighing out loud, I pulled my hands out of my pocket and held my left hand up, shaking the ring finger.

Realization struck across his face as his eyes met the diamond ring, and I could hear a low growl escape from his throat. Instead of saying anything, Jake forced his way past me and ran outside, where the clouds had finally rolled in and it was beginning to pour.

"Jacob!" I called out, running after him.
"What is this about, Bella!" He turned towards me again, hurt and anger evident in his features.

"Huh?" I asked, but he held up his hand.
"Why did you come and tell me, to brag that Edward had won your heart?"
"I never knew you two were playing for it, and my heart is dead, Jacob! We are supposed to be enemies, why would you want to be with me?" I asked, anger beginning to bubble deep within me.

"You knew I loved you, Bella. I still do! I don't understand why you have to come here and show me what you've chosen." He growled out lowly, but I could still hear him past this pouring rain.

"I wanted to tell you because I want you there, Jacob! You are my best friend, I don't understand why you are being difficult!" I fought back, my anger getting worse. Jacob began to back away, but every step he would take I would take another so he wouldn't escape.

"Bella, get away." He yelled, and I noticed his body shaking.
"Jake you are being ridiculous!" That seemed to have overdone his patience, because before my eyes, Jacob transformed into the large russet wolf I had seen a few times before. This angered me even more, because now we couldn't discuss this.

Without taking another glance at me, Jacob turned around and began running towards the trees.

"Jacob!" I called out, getting ready to follow him but I was stopped at the sight of two other wolves, waiting at the trees for him. Three wolves against one vampire meant an uneven fight; even if a fight were to happen.

I watched as Jacob disappeared past the trees, and yelled out in frustration and pain.

That was the last time I saw Jacob for a while.

Please vote & comment opinions!
.xx