Chapter Eighteen: Why

Everything happened so fast, yet my mind focused on it as if it was slow-motion. James had taken my mother, and now I was chasing after them into the trees opposite of where Edward had entered, following their scent. We broke into a clearing, and I noticed my mother laying in the middle of it, not moving. I looked around and saw James was not here. Knowing this was a trap, I couldn't stop myself as I launched myself to my mother.

Before I could reach her, I was crashed into the ground, dirt and wet grass flying up around me as I landed into the earth. James was on top of my body, hitting me across my face. The force from his blows were strong, but not strong enough as I threw him across the small meadow, watching as he crashed into a broken tree trunk and rolling down into a ditch. I didn't waste any time as I moved in a fast speed to my mothers unconscious body, and stopped my breathing again as I noticed blood.

I haven't been around human blood since my rebirth, and the burning in my throat that I had tried my hardest to ignore was more powerful now with the immediate blood scent hitting my nostrils. I noticed from the corner of my eyes James getting up, but he had other plans as he walked slowly over to me.

I inspected my mother to find the source of the blood, and noticed a large gash on the side of her head. "What did you do?" I whispered, still refusing to breath in fear that my thirst would overpower me. I looked up to see James shrug slightly.
"She wouldn't shut up, I had to quiet her." I realized her chest was still moving up and down, indicating her breathing, and sighed in relief but quickly regretted it as the scent hit my senses. I threw myself back a few yards and covered my nose, gasping in shock at how strong and intoxicating it was. Just then James laughed, and was in front of me again.

"What's wrong, Bella?" He sneered, "Never tasted human blood? Well, there's a first for everything, and we don't want to waste her."
"You're sick." I yelled as I stood up and pushed him once again with force. I regretted that immediately as he landed right behind my mother's body, and I watched in fear as he looked at her with desire from her blood.

"So you don't want to drink her blood?" He asked me, and I shook my head vigorously.
"Hm, that's too bad. You may not want to watch this then." Before I had time to move, he leaned down and lifted the body of my mother slightly and snapped her neck effortlessly. I chocked out a loud gasp as I heard her heartbeat slow down, then end all together.

My ears were ringing, I saw nothing but red as I fell to my knees and screamed. James smiled at me again masochistically and I jumped across towards him, grabbing his head as I pushed myself up again, ripping harshly. The piercing noise that echoed throughout the trees was somewhat satisfying, and when I landed on my feet once again, his head landed beside me. Running to the body of my mother, I sobbed heavily as I sat down and pulled her head onto my lap, brushing her hair back with my hands.

She was gone. Her heart no longer beat, her eyes were closed and I continued sobbing as I heard another presence enter the meadow.

"Bella!" Alice cried, sitting beside me in a short second. The questions overpowered me, and I closed my eyes as I was quickly surrounded by the Cullens. Apologies followed the questions, but I wasn't listening to any of it.

I had lost my mother, and I was in pain.

Just then I smelt a sickly sweet scent, and I opened my eyes to see Jasper tossing the remains of James into a fire. I still held my mother, no longer sobbing, but sitting there in silence, I closed my eyes and numbness came over my body. I drowned out all noises, hearing nothing but soft ringing in my ears.

The scent of my mothers blood no longer burned my throat, but then again I had new feelings to deal with.

I felt as if I sat there for hours, the sun was beginning to set when finally I opened my eyes again. The fire that had burned James was now nothing but ashes, and I looked as everyone sat around me, sadness in their eyes. Everything was silent before I decided to speak.

"She didn't deserve this." I whispered, the lump in my throat forming again as I looked down at the lifeless body I held.
"Bella, I am so sorry." Edward whispered, reaching over to grab my hand. I pulled away before he could touch it, and I saw the hurt cross his face.
"Where were you?" I choked out, looking down again.
"When I caught up to the family, Laurent and Victoria were there, we were discussing things when suddenly we heard screams." I shook my head.
"James said he killed you." Edward raised his eyebrows in confusion.
"Bella, I'm fine. I didn't even see James until we found you." I turned to Alice just then, "How did you not see this coming?" Alice hung her head low and shook it slowly before meeting eyes with me again, "I wish I did.. I was so concentrated on what Laurent and Victoria was telling us to even take a moment to see James. Bella I can't tell you how sorry I am."

Instead of saying anything else, I stood up and lifted my mothers body off of the ground effortlessly. When I saw the questioning look in everyone's eyes, I sighed heavily. "I have to go back to Charlie. What are we going to say about her... Death?" I chocked on the word, closing my eyes again and taking deep breaths. Carlisle stood up and rested his hand on my shoulder, causing me to open my eyes.

"We can make it look like a car crash, if you'd like." That was the first idea, and I was already hooked. A car crash would seem easy, but the death was harder. I agreed to it and quickly, everything was set in motion.

The story we made up seemed foolproof. We were on our way back from Seattle when a deer jumped out in front of the car, causing Edward to lose control and crash us into a tree. After the car was totaled, Alice made Edward and I look as if we had blood on us to make it more realistic by using fake blood. My mother wouldn't have been wearing a seat-belt, and she was sitting in the middle seat which would have made her crash through the windshield.

I refused to go to the scene, not wanting to relive my mother's death although this didn't kill her. I stayed with Edward and Carlisle, and he took us to the hospital so we'd be on record. I felt the numbness overpower me, I was ignoring everyone and refusing to really see what was happening. When Charlie showed up at the hospital and saw me, that's when the broken dry sobs came back. Seeing the heartbroken look in his eyes made this reality. My mother really was gone, she died and I didn't save her.

I couldn't save her.

-

"Are you ready, honey?" Charlie asked me, opening my bedroom door slightly. It's been a week since the horrible death of my mother, and today was the day of her funeral. I looked over my reflection in the mirror and tugged the sleeve of my black sweater over the white cast I was forced to wear for show. I was wearing a black lace dress with a black cardigan over it, along with my black chucks.

I had barely spoken to anyone since we left the hospital, only leaving the house to hunt. Edward had come by a few times, but when I wouldn't acknowledge him he'd give up and leave sadly.

I would feel bad, but my emotions have been covered. I looked back at Charlie and nodded my head, I didn't want to go out in public and see everyone, I just wanted to run away, forever. Maybe, I would do just that; but for now, I had to go to the funeral.

The funeral of my own mother.

Sorry if this chapter is bad :(
Please vote + comment opinions!