Chapter Twenty-One: Shield

MAY

-

JUNE

-

JULY

-

AUGUST

-

OCTOBER

-

Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.

"Again!" Kate demanded as I stood up from the ground, brushing snow off of my jacket. It had been five months since my mothers funeral. Five months since I had ran away, five months of being alone although I was surrounded by company each and every day. Five months without my love, Edward. He was still oblivious to where I was hiding, and although he's been to the Denali's house a few times in hopes of finding me here, I'd always hide, under the confines of trees as I would stand on a branch way up high, watching below me as I would see Edward. He looked heartbroken, but determined to find me. The Denali's would lie to him on my behalf, knowing I wasn't ready to face him just yet. 

I was getting better with my power, learning every day. I could expand the shield to stretch around at least two people, but I needed to make sure it would stretch around more. "Bella!" Kate called impatiently as I walked agonizingly slow over to where she was standing. We were using large boulders in place of people so we wouldn't hurt anyone, but with every touch of a boulder I wasn't protecting, it would dissolve under her power. We have been through a lot of boulders, but this next round I was certain I'd finish my training.

"Are you ready?" She asked me. Taking an unneeded deep breath, I closed my eyes and concentrated real hard before nodding. The shield was like an aura, but it felt as if I was stretching a very tight rubber band all around the group of large rocks that surrounded me. Kate went around, touching every little rock. I could hear as the electricity left her palms, but when I opened my eyes again I could see every rock was intact.

Kate finished the lesson and my audience that had gathered on the porch clapped their hands. Eleazar stood beside Carmen, Garrett standing beside Tanya. I knew Irina didn't take a liking to me with how she reacted to my presence, but I wasn't bothered by it so much. 

"Now try and reach us." Eleazar requested, and although I was confident, I was worried.
"Are you sure?" I asked them, and they nodded their head. Taking another breath, I looked over at them and concentrated hard. They were not far away, but not close, either. I watched as my somewhat blurry aura began it's way over to them and gasped as it snapped back to me, like I let go of the rubber band.

"Concentrate, Bella." Kate demanded, and I nodded my head as I started the shield again. It slowly reached the group and wrapped around them, Kate standing in front of them in a second. "You're sure about this?" Kate asked them. "I trust you." Carmen whispered and Kate reached up to touch her slightly. The buzz shook the shield slightly, but it didn't break. Kate moved on to Eleazar, the shield reacting the same. She eventually touched Tanya and Garrett, but it was obvious the electricity didn't hurt them.

When Kate dropped her hand, she looked over to me in amazement. 
"You did it." She whispered. "How did it feel?" I asked as I brought my shield back to me, running over to them so I was in front of them in a second. "It hurt a little but it was bearable." Eleazar answered and I couldn't help jumping up and down in excitement. "Again!" I gasped happily and they all laughed.

The laughter died quickly though, and they all looked behind me with wide eyes filled with shock. Before I could turn to see what was behind me, I heard him.
"Bella?" 

My chest ached slightly at the sound of his voice, and I turned slowly to see Edward standing a distance away. Before I could actually think, I turned and ran. I didn't think why, but I just ran. Ran past the trees, jumped across a river, and landed on a rock before I felt arms wrap around my waist, pulling me close to a body with the scent I yearned for.

"Bella." He whispered softly, breathing in my scent. I turned in his arms to face him and a lump formed in my throat as I wrapped my arms around his neck, resting my face against his chest in a strong intimate hug. 

"I'm so sorry." I sobbed softly after a minute. Edward let go of my waist, bringing his hand to my chin so I could look up into his golden eyes filled with forgiveness and love. "I forgive you. I love you." I missed hearing his voice, I missed hearing him say he loved me; and I was happy to know he forgiven me for the act I had pulled on him.
"I don't know how you can forgive me so easily. I ran from you, hid from you although I know you knew where I was."

There was no possible way that Alice hadn't seen where I was staying.
"I understand why you ran. I understand why you hid, but that's why I would continue to visit the Denali's, in hopes that you would come out to see me. Alice did see you were here, but she would continue to tell me it wasn't time to come take you back just yet. She saw the promise you made yourself, the dedication you have to complete your power. She saw you complete it, and she told me I could come get you; that's why I'm here. Bella, please come home with me. I love you, and I miss you so much." 

Was it really time to return to Forks, though? Had I really fulfilled my promise? Yes. A small voice in my head echoed. I was happy with the progress I had made, and I could continue working on it if I wished, I could at least protect one person; and if danger came his way, I wouldn't hesitate to use my power on him. I may have lost my mother, but I was not going to lose my father.

My broken sobs began to quiet down as Edward held me, running his fingers through my hair. When I opened my eyes again, I made the decision: I was returning to Forks. 

-

We walked back to the Denali's hand in hand, and my chest filled with happiness. When we walked through the front door, I left a kiss on Edward's cheek before going upstairs to the room Carmen and Eleazar had offered me for my stay, and I began packing the stuff I had. Even from upstairs, I could hear the conversations going on below.

"Thank you for letting her stay here, and thank you for helping her with her special ability." Edward thanked them.
"Of course, Edward. We apologize for lying to you, that wasn't easy." Eleazar replied softly.
"I understand why you did that, and that was Bella's wish that you honored."
"She was great company, you both should come back and visit soon." Carmen was saying as I walked back down the stairs to say goodbye.

After hugging everyone besides Irina, who was still upstairs, I said my thanks and my goodbyes. I was grateful with how nice everyone besides Irina was and the lessons I had learned about my powers, but I just wanted to be back home with my real family. Waving goodbye once more, I ran besides Edward, smiling almost the whole way home.

Three chapters in one day?? My present to you. :) Happy Holidays, loves! ♡♡
Vote & comment opinions!

.xx