Chapter Nineteen: Leaving

The funeral was agonizing. Hearing the sad broken dry sobs escaping from Esme and seeing the tears running down Charlie's and Phil's face made this even worse. I no longer sobbed over the death, knowing this had to happen eventually with my new existence. Edward had complimented me when I'd arrived, and I'd only smile at him. Planning out what I was deciding to do, I did decide on being close to him today. Holding his hand and resting my head on his shoulder made him slightly surprised, but comforted again with the thought of me returning from this mood.

I didn't want to plan out everything just yet, in fear of Alice actually seeing that, so I'd stay on the low for now. The drive home from the graveyard in Charlie's cruiser was also silent. I knew he was assuming what I was planning on doing, so when he pulled up to the house and shut off the engine I turned to face him.

"Dad," He interrupted me before I could finish.
"Bella I know this was horrible. I am so sorry you have to go through this, but I know you. I know you've been distant from everyone, even Edward, and I am beginning to know why. If you want to take some time to yourself and leave, feel free to do that. Just, call me sometimes so I know you are safe, okay?" The lump in my throat returned, so I simply nodded before reaching over and wrapping him in a hug.

"I love you, dad." I whispered.
"I love you, Bella."

I ran to my room and packed up the first things my hands touched, stuffing them in a backpack. Changing out of my outfit, I ripped the cast off my arm and dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans with a dark grey sweater, covering it with a leather jacket. Pulling my combat boots on, I zipped up my backpack and placed it on my back, running back downstairs to see Charlie sitting at the kitchen table, his face in his hands. Walking over to him, I took his hands in mine and leaned down to kiss him on the head softly.

"I'll call you whenever I can, if any of the Cullen's come by, tell them I left and you don't know where. I have to go, I love you, dad." Standing up, he pulled me in his arms and sobbed quietly for a quick moment. "Okay, I'll do that. Every chance you get, call me. I love you, Bells. So much."

Letting go, I waved goodbye as I exited through the back door. I had decided on running, knowing my truck wasn't fast enough to escape Forks. I knew leaving Charlie wasn't a good idea, but I needed to distance myself. I wasn't leaving forever, just for now. Without thinking anymore, I began running.

-

Running began to clear my head, I had stopped a few times to feed, then continue on my way. I decided on passing the Quiluete border so the Cullen's couldn't stop me if they were looking. Sticking to the shadows to hide myself, I had jumped up into the trees to make my scent disappear and jump from tree to tree. I didn't know where I was going, only I didn't stop for even a minute to see where I was.

When I reached the shore, I decided on swimming. I haven't swam yet since my transformation, but with my speed and my ability to not having to breath, I knew this would be easy. Adjusting the backpack straps, I jumped in. I couldn't even feel the water as I swam under the surface at such a high speed, that I reached the Canadian borders in only a short few minutes.

I sat at the edge of the shore, watching the sunset in silence. I was still masked by the shadows so my skin wouldn't reflect, and I let myself think for a few minutes. I couldn't imagine how Edward was feeling, I knew by now he would've figured out I left, and when he'd come searching for me he would quickly lose my scent. It pained me to know he was upset, but I couldn't bring myself to go back; not yet. I needed space, I needed to be alone. "I'm sorry." I whispered out loud, mainly to everyone.
Charlie, Edward, my mother, and myself. I was sorry I had brought this pain into this life, and I was sorry to introduce my parents to it. So far I had lost one parent, and I was scared about losing the other one; which was another reason for my running. If Victoria would come after me for sacrificing her mate, at least we wouldn't be near my father. Taking one final look at the land far away across the large open water, I turned my back and ran again.

-

I found a motel shortly off of a highway, and decided to rent a room for now. Walking into the small warmed office that smelt of cheap fragrance and tobacco, I rang a small bell that was set on the desk indicating service was needed. I waited before a short old man showed himself and walked up in front of me, smiling kindly although I could tell he was taken back from my appearance.

I had dried significantly while watching the sunset, but I could feel a few wet strands of hair blowing softly around my face from the heater blowing to my side.

"Can I help you?" The old man greeted.
"Yes, I would like to rent a room." I said, pulling my wallet out of my backpack.
"For how many nights?" This caught me off guard, how long did I want to stay in Canada? Surely not long, as I had wanted to head towards Alaska as well and see what it was like down there. I had decided I would take this newfound freedom to my advantage and discover new places for me to stay in the future.
"Actually, never-mind." I decided right then. I didn't need to deal with petty little things humans needed; I didn't need to shower, my natural aroma took care of my scent. I didn't need sleep, although I often wish I did, and I only needed to hunt when I could no longer put it off.

"Oh? Okay then. Have a nice night." The old man looked confused as I placed the wallet back in my bag and exited the office. I walked a slow human pace until I reached the trees, and began my running again. I quickly discovered that running would quiet out my thoughts for a small time, and I didn't want to try and convince myself that running was a cowardly thing to do.

But I knew it was cowardly without having to think, and I didn't want to force myself to turn around just yet. Barreling forward through the trees, I smiled softly as I felt free and focused. I was determined to stay away from Forks for a while, determined to take care of my newborn self in broken bliss.

Short chapter, I'm sorry. :(
Next chapter should be good, though!
Comment opinions & vote! .xx