Chapter Seven: Charlie

The rest of the day seemed to pass by fast, the rest of the Cullen family had returned after Rosalie and I had bonded, and I learned the story of each of them. Hearing Carlisle's story was sad, how he tried to commit suicide plenty of times with no luck, but eventually found hope when he created Edward, and Esme shortly after. Jasper came from a darker background, and even with Jasper calming me throughout all the emotions I felt through the stories, I couldn't help but feel sad, happy, and frightened through them all.

Alice didn't remember a thing about her rebirth, or her human life for that matter. Her creator had abandoned her, leaving her alone before she turned. She said if she hadn't had her visions, if she hadn't seen Carlisle and their diet, if she hadn't seen Jasper, then she might have become a total savage. Esme tried committing suicide by jumping off of a large cliff after losing a child during her human life, and was assumed dead so they brought her straight to the morgue. Carlisle heard her beating heart and thought it was "love at first sight", and he turned her. Emmett was found about to be finished off by a bear after a bear attack, but Rosalie found him and ran him back to Carlisle, fearing she couldn't turn him herself. She said she saw something in his eyes that made her quickly fall in love, like Carlisle and Esme, and that's when she knew she wanted to save him.

I learned that the reason some vampires are more special than others, is because they seem to bring their strongest trait from their human life over to their new life. Edward could read people very easily, which is why he ended up with telepathy. They assumed Alice must have seen things in her human life to bring over the power of precognition, the power to see things before they happen. Rosalie has brought her beauty, Emmett his strength, Esme her way to love passionately, Jasper was very charismatic in his life before, and that's why he could affect the mood of others. Carlisle had brought his compassion, and that is why he became a doctor, he wanted to save the lives of humans when he couldn't save himself.

That left me, unknowing what my trait was. I couldn't be read by Edward, but I was able to control my thirst very well. Being a newborn at this age, I hadn't attacked my parents, and I've been around my father everyday since. They assumed it was super self control, but that just didn't seem interesting like the others. I was left in wonderment while they continued on with the stories, and I was loving every second of being with the Cullens.

I hadn't realized it was beginning to get dark, being so consumed by everyone that when Edward stood up and pulled me out of the room, I was confused. "We should probably get you home." Edward informed me, and I looked over at a clock that hung on the wall in a separate room, seeing the time. Charlie should be returning home shortly, and I still needed to make him dinner. I sighed softly, and Edward smiled down at me. "Bella you can come back later, we have all the time." I smiled up at him and nodded my head, leaving him so I could say my goodbyes for now.

I met Edward outside and we raced back to my house, stopping only before we broke through the trees that opened for Charlie's street. I walked through the back door, with Edward stopping there. "Do you want to come in?" I offered, holding the door open for him. Edward smiled and nodded his head, stepping through the threshold that led into the kitchen.

I began rummaging through the fridge to find something to cook, finally deciding on steak and potatoes. It didn't take long to prepare the meal, and as soon as I finished I heard Charlie's cruiser pull into the beginning of the street. "You should probably go for now, then come back in about an hour? Just so I can prep Charlie." I told Edward, setting Charlie's side of the table. He stood leaning against the counter, watching my every move. "I'm going to meet Charlie?" He grinned down at me. I nodded my head eagerly at him, walking over to stand in front of him. Edward reached down and hugged me softly, wrapping his arms around my waist as I rested my head against his chest. Although the action lasted about a second, it felt like a while to me. Charlie's cruiser parked out front, and I could hear as he slammed the door, beginning his walk up to the front porch.