Chapter Sixteen: Spring Break

As expected, time sped by with nothing new about the nomads. Spring Break had finally arrived, and I was excited to see my mother again. I went around the house cleaning everything, making sure things were in order for her arrival.

Charlie was moving past Harry's death by putting all of his focus in his work, but then that would make him feel bad because he would feel as if he left me alone too often.

"It's okay," I reassured him one morning before he headed off to work, "I'll mostly be cleaning all day, Edward will be showing up anytime soon to keep me company."
"Well, okay. Just call if you need anything, okay? I love you, Bells." Hugging him for a short minute, I then waved him out the door. My mother would be flying down the next day, and seeing her meant so much to me. I had went over our plans multiple times over email with her, making sure she knew not to bring up my new life, and especially to not think about it when near my boyfriend, Edward.

She was ecstatic to find out about me being in a relationship, and I could tell she'd get along great with Esme. My thoughts were broken off by a knock at my front door, and I smiled as I walked over and opened it. There stood Edward, looking as attractive as ever in a white sweater and jeans.

"Hello, love." He greeted, coming inside and kissing me on the cheek.
"Hi." I greeted, shutting the door behind him. I followed him into the living room where we sat down beside each other on the couch. "When is your mother arriving?" He asked me, taking my hand in his as I rested my head against his shoulder and breathed in his scent.
"Tomorrow, anything new?" I closed my eyes, hoping that the nomads had given up. When Edward's posture stiffened, I knew my hope was wasted.

"Alice saw them today, before I came over."
"And?"
"They've been planning out a way to get here without alerting the dogs. They managed, we have to get you out of here, Bella."
I lifted my head up and looked at him, fear was evident in my face.
"Edward, I can't just disappear! My mother,"
"Your mother will be fine," He interrupted me.
"We can't risk anything, it might be wise if we left tonight. We can go somewhere, Bella. We need to go back to my house, so we can sort out a plan with my family. I think they want to lead the nomads away from Forks, so no humans will be in danger. Then when we are far enough away, we will run, but my family will stay and kill them."

I wished I could cry, I didn't want this. "I need to see my mom, Edward." I whispered, looking down at our hands. He grabbed my chin lightly and directed my vision up to meet eyes with him. "We can't endanger her life." His voice was just a whisper as well.

Sighing in defeat, I stood up and let go of his hand, rubbing my face in annoyance. "Fine, let's go to your house." Edward nodded his hand and stood up as well, leading the way outside to the Volvo parked up front.

-

The drive to his house was short, our meeting with the family seemed shorter; I felt as if everything was planned before I had even arrived.
"What doesn't make sense to me, is why a vampire coven would come after one vampire? I didn't do anything wrong." I told them, sitting down on an armchair and looking at each of them. Carlisle was first to speak, leaning over and grabbing my hand softly. "Some vampires are more hostile, they want what they can't have, and that angers them. They get very aggressive, and won't stop trying to get at what they want until they either get it, or they get executed. I'm sorry you have to go through this, Bella. We won't let them hurt you."
I smiled at Carlisle's reassuring words, but still worried about Renee. "What am I going to tell my mom?" I asked them, directing the subject elsewhere. Just then before anyone had a chance to speak, Alice zoned out, gasping softly, indicating she was having a vision. Edward tilted his head in her direction and closed his eyes, experiencing the vision with her. When he opened them again, he smiled at me.

"You have to tell her you want to take her somewhere, we'll bring her with us. Alice just saw the fight wasn't going to last long, we can take your mother with us if you want."
"What about Charlie?"
"Do you think you can speak with the pack? Make sure they keep Charlie safe, inviting him over to the reservation?" I nodded my head, thinking about the plan. As long as I'd be with my mom, I'd be fine.

The rest of the night we discussed every little detail of our plan, the flaws that would be fixed, the execution, and where Edward would take my mother and I. We decided on heading to Seattle, not wanting to stray too far from the family, and not wanting to alert Renee of any danger. She would assume we were going shopping then out to dinner, and that was the plan. While we were off pretending everything was okay, the Cullen's would fight and end James' coven. It was a terrifying night, every shadow outside would make me more alert, every new sound would make me jump. It was when Edward began playing me my lullaby I finally calmed down.

-

I stood beside Charlie at the gate in the airport, looking at the door that my mother would pass through in a short few minutes. The faster time passed, the more eager and excited I would get. By the time I saw her face, a smile spread across my face and I ran into her arms. I ignored the slight shudder she made from interaction with my cold skin, and squeezed softly.
"Bella, oh my baby." I knew she was crying, and I could feel a lump in my throat, the thing I would always feel before I cried as a human.
"Mom I'm so happy you're here." I dry sobbed in her arms, forgetting Charlie was waiting behind us. When he coughed slightly we let go, and she walked over to give Charlie an awkward hug.

"It's nice to see you, Charlie." She smiled when they let go.
"Renee you're looking amazing." He complimented her and I grabbed her hand, walking beside her as we left the airport.

The hour long drive back to Forks wasn't filled with awkward silence, my mother supplied all of the subjects for each conversation. She began speaking about Florida, and how she knew I would have loved it there, the small house her and Phil bought that is right on the beach, the new daycare job she worked for and all the children there. I was happy to see my mom happy, last time I saw her she was crying about my change.

"So Bella," She looked back at me from the passenger seat, "How is Edward? When do I get to meet him?" I couldn't help the smile that crossed my face when Edward's name was mentioned, and my mother noticed that.
"Edward is amazing, and you get to meet him tonight. Tomorrow after you meet his family he's taking us shopping and out to dinner." I knew mentioning the plan would excite her even more, and that's why I brought it up.
"That sounds so exciting! Charlie, will you be joining us?" I could feel the awkward aura that radiated off of Charlie with the invitation, I was sure Renee noticed as well.
"Er, no." He sighed, his eyes never taking off the road, "I have to work, then I'll be heading down to the reservation to help Sue finish packing Harry's things.

I had noticed that Charlie had been spending more time with Sue Clearwater, and that made me happy.
"Oh, that's right. How if she? I might have to see her as well during my visit." Renee's voice got softer and she looked out the windshield as well.
"Sue's handling pretty well, it's her daughter, Leah, that's taking this transition the hardest. I hardly ever see her." My mom just nodded her head, sighing softly as we entered Forks.
"It never stops raining here, does it." She tried smiling, but I could see the force behind it. I quietly nodded my head, I did sometimes miss the sun, but I had grown accustomed to Forks and the wetness of it. It hid my true identity well, and I was loving Forks for that.

The drive had finally ended and Charlie parked the car in front of the small house, we all piled out of the car and I opened the trunk to grab my mother's small carry-on suitcase. Charlie led the way inside, and my mother wrapped her arm around my waist as we followed.

"I love you." She whispered softly, and I turned to smile at her.
"I love you." I replied happily.

Please vote + comment opinions!
Xx