Chapter Six: Rosalie Hale

"It's Rose and Emmett." Edward told me softly, alerting me who had called us downstairs; that was why I didn't recognize the voice, Rosalie hasn't spoken to me yet. We fly down the long set of stairs and find Rosalie standing beside Emmett by the front door, holding hands. Rosalie smiled at me much more sincerely now, no longer looking sad, and Emmett's face still held the goofy grin from before.

"Sorry, were we interrupting something?" Emmett asked, winking at Edward. I felt him stiffen slightly beside me then chuckle lowly as he read Emmett's thought, and I found myself loving the sound. "Not at all," he began, "What's up?"
Rosalie looked over at me and let go of Emmett's hand, holding her arms out. I let go of Edward and found myself hugging the beautiful woman in front of me, awkwardly wondering what this was for.

"I'm sorry." She whispered softly, her light voice one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard, close beside Edward's voice and laugh. Although she said it so silently that no human could hear, I knew Emmett and Edward's vampire hearing could pick it up as if she simply said it out loud instead of in a whisper. I let go of her and Emmett hugged me second, picking me up and swinging me in a large circle before setting me back on my feet, causing me to stagger back. It was like hugging a bear, and he laughed at my reaction.

"Damn, Bella. Where's your grace?" His booming laugh bounced off the walls and I couldn't help but smile back at him as I replied, "I guess I seemed to have brought my clumsy ways from my human life over to this one." That caused Emmett to laugh louder, before walked over to Edward. "We should probably leave these two alone." Edward offered, indicating toward Rose and I. Emmett looked back at his love and shrugged, walking over to kiss her on the cheek sweetly before running out of the house with Edward close behind.

Rosalie sighed softly and walked over to the couch, watching me with solemn eyes as she sat down. I joined her, and we sat there silently for a few very long seconds before Rose spoke up. "I hope you know what I am apologizing for." She said, crossing her legs. "Edward sort of caught me up, told me you feel bad for me?" I answered, and she smiled sadly as she looked down.
"Well I guess you know that part. Has he ever told you about why I feel this way about the life we live?" I shook my head, waiting for her to continue.
"There are things about this life, that just makes me depressed. I've always wanted a family of my own, I've always wanted children, and to watch them grow up and for them to have many children themselves, so I could die knowing I've fulfilled my purpose, I've always dreamed of having a beautiful, large family. But with this life, I can't. I'm frozen, never aging, never moving. I can't even have children, did you know that?" She stopped to look at me, and I shook my head slowly.

"Female vampires are infertile. We can't have children, well at least that's what we know. It's a shame, really. Can you imagine how beautiful Emmett and I's babies would look?" Again she stopped, looking at me to examine my reaction. I could picture it, and smiled at the thought; the baby would be the most beautiful baby there ever was, especially with immortal features making the face perfectly flawless. Rose still didn't speak up, I guess she was waiting for me to say something. When I didn't, she sighed and continued. "You had such a beautiful gift, the gift of life, the gift of fertility. And now that's all been ripped away from you and I feel so extremely sorry about that. I'm sure your life was perfect, was it not?" She looked surprised when I shook my head, speaking up before her.

"My life was far from perfect, but then again I guess no one's life is." She looked down and smiled again sadly before continuing into a story.
"Mine was. Royce King was the most eligible bachelor in town, and he wanted me. My parents approved, as did his, and he began to court me. Every night of our courtship he would send a bouquet of roses for me. It got to the point where my bedroom was overflowing with the flowers, and every time I would leave the house, the scent of roses clung to my body. Royce was everything I had dreamed of, he was handsome, with lighter hair than mine, and pale blue eyes.
"He was everything I'd ever dreamed of, a fairy-tale price, come to make me a princess. We were engaged before I'd known him for two months. We didn't spend much time together, he'd always been busy, but when we were together, he'd love to show me off. He liked people to see me on his arm, and I loved that too. The engagement wasn't long, plans had went straight ahead for the most lavish wedding. I was completely happy." Her story broke off and I broke off with it, suddenly examining her expression. The way her eyes glared at the floor and her teeth clenched, I knew she was reliving her memories and the horror was close.

"I was leaving a close friends that night, she had walked me to the door with her adorable baby boy in her arms, her husband beside them with his arm around her waist. He had kissed her on the cheek when he thought I wasn't looking, and that affected me somehow. When Royce kissed me, it wasn't sweet like that. I had shoved the thought aside and left, not knowing that was the last time I'd ever see them. The street lamps were on, the sky was dark. I hadn't realized it had been so late. The wind that hit my exposed face was cold, very cold for late April. I remember that all I was worrying about was the weather, and my wedding. I didn't want to move it indoors. Funny how some of the last thoughts I had as a human I was thinking about my wedding.
"I was a few streets away from my house when I heard them, a cluster of drunken men laughing loudly and calling out under a broken street lamp, and I found them pitiful. It was when I walked closer that I realized these men were well dressed, they couldn't have been some losers from the streets. I quickly recognized Royce's voice as he called out to me, he was standing in the middle of the drunken idiots, completely intoxicated. He tried to lure me over to him, but when I ignored him and continued walking, he ran up to me and grabbed me from behind, covering my mouth so I couldn't scream.

"He led me over to his group of friends and introduced me, still covering my mouth. One of the men pointed out I was covered up in too many clothes, and that's when Royce began to strip me. He ripped the hat out of my hair, the pins that clung to it ripping out the roots of hair, and I cried out in pain. They seemed to love that, the sound of my cries." She stopped suddenly and looked at me, almost like she forgot I was sitting there.
"I won't make you listen to the rest. Just know, it was brutal. I laid there in the streets, humiliated as they laughed and walked away, leaving me there to die. Believe me, I wanted to. Carlisle found me then, he'd smelled the blood, and come to investigate. He quickly recognized me so he tried saving me. He brought me back to their house then, and I remember vaguely being frustrated that he was saving me. I just wanted death to overcome me, and it eventually did, at least until I opened my eyes and became, this." She motioned her hands over her body, indicating she meant her rebirth. I continued to watch her, listening to her sad story and feeling very sorry for what she had been through. Rosalie looked at my reaction and smiled softly.

"My record is almost as clean as Carlisle's, better than Esme. A thousand times better then Edward's. I've never tasted human blood." Her sad smile turned into a proud grin, like she was showing off. I returned the smile, before replying, "So far I haven't either." Rosalie looked at me with curiosity in her eyes, and she raised her flawless brows at me. "Well keep it up, then we could be the only two vampires of this clan who hasn't tasted it." My smile widened as she included me in her family, making me feel happy after the sad story she had finished telling me. She looked away then, going silent for a second before she began to speak.

"I did get my revenge, though. Although I've never tasted human blood, I've murdered seven humans. Very carefully, so no blood would spill and drive me over the edge. I went after the men that night, saved Royce for last, so he knew it was coming. The two additional men I killed were the armed men protecting the room he hid himself in, they only took about a second. I was a little theatrical back then, I wore a wedding dress that I had stolen for the occasion. He saw me, and just screamed. He screamed a lot that night." She broke off suddenly, and I assumed there her story ended.

"Things got easier after I found Emmett. He's been my rock during this whole life, and I don't think I could ever continue on without him. He is the best thing that has every happened to me, and he makes me happy, even if I am almost always clouded in my depression. He brings me out of it and protects me from anything. I truly love him." I smiled at her as she explained how much he meant to her, thinking about how sweet that was.

"I hope to find something like that." I couldn't stop the words from coming out of my mouth, and Rosalie looked at me with shock evident on her face. "But Bella, you already have. I see the way Edward looks at you, he's never looked at anyone else like that before. You might have only known him for a short time, but in this vampire life, your mate is already chosen, the date of their transformation happens undecided. It just happened to be pure luck that we returned to Forks, because you could have been wandering around the world aimlessly for hundreds of years before you met Edward. Believe me when I say this, you have found that." Rosalie stood up and held out her arms again, looking for another hug. As I stood up and wrapped my arms around her, I smiled softly. This hug didn't feel at all awkward like the first one, it felt like home, it felt like a hug you'd give to a sister.

And Rosalie had become my sister.

Please vote + comment opinions!
xx.