Chapter Two: Jacob Black

I arrived home late that night to find a worried Charlie.

"Bella! Where have you been? You had me worried sick!" He scolded me as I sat down on the dining room chair across from him. "Relax, dad. It's not like anything bad can happen to me anymore." I laughed at my small joke, but my smile quickly disappeared when I saw the sadness cross Charlie's face. "Sorry." I muttered before continuing, "I just went exploring the woods for a while, time sort of escaped me when I.. Met someone." I looked up to see confusion spread across his face.

"His name is Edward. He's like me." Realization struck his face and his mouth dropped open in a small "o" form. "So there's more vampires in Forks then what I know? What is his last name? I might know of him." I nodded my head, "I was surprised too. And it's Cullen, do you know any?"

Charlie stood up quickly and paced back and forth, "Dr. Cullens boy? That must mean that they are all like him. Humph, I knew there was something off about him; he's too good looking for his own kind, but I would've never suspected him of being.. Like you." Charlie didn't enjoy the word "vampire", so he tried avoiding it as much as he can.

"He's a doctor?" I asked, standing up from my chair as well to begin on the dishes that were starting to form in he sink. Although I no longer ate human food, Charlie did a good job at wasting enough dishes that you'd think more then one person would be eating. The fact that a vampire was a doctor confused me, being around all that blood must be torturous; even if they only drink from animals.

"Yeah, a very fine one as well. The people of Forks are lucky to have him; although I guess with the fact of him being immortal, he must be very old which gave him every opportunity to study on medicine to make him as incredible as he is." Before I could question him further of what he knew about the Cullen's, the phone rang out. Charlie answered it on the third ring and I left the kitchen to give him privacy. Heading upstairs to my bedroom, I examined my appearance and was shocked at the color of my eyes. I was only a few months old; and I could see how the color of my irises were beginning to change. Instead of the intense red I was growing used to, it was turning a shade of butterscotch, like Edwards eyes, but darker.

Charlie didn't even have to tell me about the company that was soon to arrive; although I didn't leave the room I could still hear him speaking to his old friend, Billy Black, on the phone as if I was standing right next to him.

"Yeah, that sounds fine, Billy. Erm, before you arrive I should probably tell you that Bella's feeling a bit ill, so you might not see her."
"That's a shame, I'm sure Jacob would have loved to see her again." I heard very quietly on the other end of the line.
"Jacob's coming along?"
"Well I can't drive two cars myself at the same time, Charlie." Billy laughed a deep laugh and I wondered what he meant.
"I'll see how Bella's feeling, she might come down to say hi and visit for a few minutes.. But Billy, She's going through something right now so if she seems or looks different, don't bring it up. It's a sensitive subject." 
"Alright, Charlie. We'll be down in a few."

I could sense the confusion in Billy's voice as Charlie was being very suspicious, and I just hoped he wasn't an intuitive old man who studied the supernatural. "Bella." Charlie said softly, knowing very well I could hear him perfectly. Standing beside him in a second, Charlie jumped in surprise. "Sorry." I said quietly. "It's okay, just still having a hard time adjusting to this. I'm sure you heard the conversation?" Nodding my head, I followed him into the living room where he sat on the large armchair, and I sat on the couch next to him.

"If you feel uncomfortable when you meet them, you're more than free to go. Although I do want you to stay here for a small bit at first because they are bringing a gift for you." smiling in response, I looked up at the TV he just turned on. Not long after watching the beginning of a baseball game, I grew bored. It was then I heard the sound of tires pulling into the street and I could smell something.. Odd. Almost like the scent of wet dog, and it almost burned my nose.

Scrunching my nose back in disgust, I asked if Charlie could smell the same thing. "I can't smell anything but that candle on the table, Bells. You need to remember, I don't have the same nose as you." he chuckled in response. I heard a car park across the street, and another car park in the driveway. After the sound of doors opening and closing, Charlie took one look outside and smiled at me before exiting the house. Standing up slowly, I followed Charlie outside, where the scent was almost over-powering.

That's when I met eyes with a young boy who looked around fourteen, maybe fifteen. He had long brunette hair that ended past his shoulders, with silky, russet-colored skin. His eyes were dark, but a captivating color. Walking closer to the boy who stood behind a man in a wheelchair, who I assumed was Billy, the scent caught me off balance and I decided to hold my breath all together and ignore the scent like I ignored the burning in my throat.

"Bella, do you remember Billy Black from La Push?" Charlie asked me, distracting me from my thoughts. La Push was a small Indian reservation on the coast. Nodding my head, I smiled at Billy. He was already looking at me with a look that came across as fear and anger, so I decided against shaking his hand in case the feeling of my skin would cause him to have a heart attack. "Hello, Billy." I greeted him before looking back up at the kid, who smiled brightly at me. "Hey, I'm Jacob." He greeted me when Billy still didn't say a word.

"Bella." I smiled back, although he knew my name. "Billy you're looking good." I smiled back down at him, causing him to quickly look at the ground and take a deep breath. He finally got himself together and he looked back up at me in braveness and smiled back. "Still dancing. Glad to see you're here, Charlie would always speak of how excited he was to see you." Looking over at Charlie, he shifted uncomfortably beside me - he never was one to show affection.

"So Bella, what do you think." Charlie asked as he pointed to the truck that now parked in the driveway, breaking everyone away from the tension that was building. It was a faded red color, with big, rounded fenders and a bulbous cab. "It looks really good!" I exclaimed as I walked slowly over to the truck and ran my fingers against the metal. "Well, it's yours." Charlie responded, "an official homecoming gift, just bought it off Billy here." To my intense surprise, I loved it.

"This is amazing! Thank you!" I smiled brightly at them as Jacob followed me as I examined the truck. "Just rebuilt the engine, so it should have no problems." He informed me, and my excitement grew. "That's awesome!" I complimented as I opened the door and got in, sitting down on the old seats that still had the scent of mint and tobacco.

Jacob sat in the passenger side beside me and explained to me a few things about the truck, and I absentmindedly inhaled through my nose, regretting it immediately as the horrible stench again filled my nose. Was it really Jacob and Billy that this god-awful scent came from? Jacob noticed the look on my face and questioned me on it. "Uhm, it's nothing. Just my sinuses acting up." I smiled at him, before changing the subject back to the truck.

-

Billy and Jacob didn't stay long, and before I knew it, Charlie and I were following them to the truck parked across the street, where Jacob sat in the drivers seat. Looking at him confused, he answered my unspoken question. "I'm sixteen, ended up getting my drivers license early down on the reservation." He smiled. Before I could reply, Billy called me over to the passenger side so he could speak with me.

"Bella, we need to speak in private. Are you available to come down to La Push tonight?" He asked very quietly so Jacob nor Charlie could hear, and part of me thought he knew what I was. Nodding my head, he looked into my eyes and shook his head softly. "Good. Please come down at around ten." Nodding my head once more, I watched as he scrawled down an address which I assumed was his. After he handed it to me I waved goodbye and watched as they drove away.