Perfect (TG Part 2)

I sit in Robyn car, and realize my phone has been vibrating a bit since we all packed into the car. I shush Sammie and David and answer it.

"Ma'?" I look out the window, and fiddle with my glasses.

I shouldn't have brought these.

"Long time no see Noella Jasmine."

"Ma', please don't call me that." I whine.

"I gave you that name, and you can bet on your pretty little bird that I'm sure is in the room with you as we speak."

"Mom, don't call him that, it's weird."

I' the only one who calls him that.

"You only think that because you call him that. Anyway, I'm sorry this is really short notice, but do you think you go with Sammie and David to the Atkins' Thanksgiving Charity Ball thing? I'm sure Robyn's already invited you, but I was just making sure. Also--"

"I know I know. We're all spending Thanksgiving with Robyn's family, he already invited me to that too." I let my cheeks heat as I catch Robyn staring at me. I look away and in my peripheral I see that he hasn't batted a lash.

He's just shameless. He hasn't stopped looking after he was caught.

"Oh, okay, well it seems that he's been keeping you in check. I'm excited to say that I'll be meeting you there. Also, I'm hoping you brought your glasses."

Lucky me.

"I did, but why?" I look at myself in the rear view mirror and adjust my mirror.

I look like how I did when I was in high school.

"Those Ray-Bans make you look intelligent, and I'm assuming Sammie dressed you up, so you'll look divine."

"Mom, thanks, but I think I'll go with contacts." I take the glasses off, and smile.

Better.

"At least ask Robyn for his opinion. I'm assuming he's in there with you."

"And if he's not?" I eye him, and he grins at me. My lips spread into a small smile, as I avert my eyes.

"He is," her voice is smug.

"How would you know?" My eyebrows furrow.

"Because you totally ignored my question about Alex." She said, still smug.

I let the silence fill the air, and I close my eyes, trying to push down the bile in my throat as a knot forms in my stomach.

"Oh." My eyes are still closed.

"Well, what happened?" She seemed a bit frustrated.

"He has a drinking problem, he cheated on me with Robyn's ex multiple times only to force me into sex. I'm sorry for being so distant, I just needed some space after a blow like that, and after that Robyn hasn't left my side. So yeah, you're officially caught up, though it's not that important. People cheat on each other all the time, and alcoholics and rapists are everywhere." I shrug, but my voice felt heavy in my throat.

"Honey, I--" She sighs. "I never knew, I'm sorry." She seemed beyond sad.

"Haven't you always said we shouldn't say sorry for what other people do?" I chuckle.

"That would be your father." She laughs. "Which you will be happy to know will be joining us this holiday, and hopefully for a lot longer now."

I gasped. No way, he's finally coming home? "Ma'! That's great!" I practically scream.