Chapter Twenty-Nine

Lucas and I were walking around, near the cafe we usually get hot chocolate. I was pretty cold because I couldn't find my winter jacket, it's like it disappeared.

"Do you want hot chocolate?" Lucas asked.

"Yes please." I said, shivering. We walked into the cafe, completely ignoring the mistletoe, and ordered two hot chocolates.

"Thanks." I smiled up at Lucas.

"No problem, babe." He smiled, wrapping his arm around my waist. His hand was resting on my hip, which caused me to jump slightly.

"Don't call me that." I tried to pull away from him, but he kept my body in his grip.

"What? Babe?"

"Lucas!" I shouted. The people walking behind us, now walking around us, not caring about the conversation between him and I. I was standing infront of Lucas, cup in hand, trying to hold back tears.

"Are you okay?" Lucas asked.

"Yes, I'm fine just... please?" He threw his hands up in defeat and we headed back to my apartment.

"Where's your jacket, Maya. You haven't been wearing one?"

"I honestly don't know." I laughed. "It kind of disappeared."

Lucas laughed and sat down on the couch, pulling his jacket off. I chuckled and turned away from him as I pulled my sweater over my head, hanging it on the rack by the door.

"What happened?" Lucas asked.

"What?" I fixed my hair and stood infront of him, grabbing his hands.

"Your hips are bruised, Maya." He pulled me closer to him by my legs and rested his hands on my hips.

"Oh." I laughed. "I ran into my mirror the other day." I pulled away from him and his hands grabbed the fabric of my shirt keeping me from moving far away.

"Both hips? In the same place? Maya, what's up?"

"Nothing, Lucas. I fell backwards and I hit it." I grabbed his balled up fists and tried to pull them off of my shirt.

"I know that's not true. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard." Lucas grabbed my hand and pulled me to my room, shutting the door. He crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows.

"What?" I asked.

"Let me see." He demanded.

"What? No-"

"Maya I couldn't care less about checking out your body right now, but what I care a lot about is finding out the truth and if you don't tell me I'll find out somehow." I squinted at him, rolling my eyes and giving into him. I lifted my shirt up, only enough to show the bruises, and turned away from Lucas.

"Maya that looks like someone fucking grabbed you!"

"Well that's not what happened so I don't know why." I argued. He pulled me infront of my mirror, showing me that the bruises were exactly the same size as his fingertips, as if I wasn't already aware of that.

"Whatever, Lucas. I told you what happened and there's literally nothing that's going to change what I told you from being true." I bit the inside of my cheek as I told lie after lie to Lucas.

"Well, I still don't believe you. I'm going to find out what happened."

"Whatever." I layed down on my bed and turned to face the wall. I was mad at Lucas, but I was mostly mad with myself for not being truthful. I couldn't tell him...

I felt him sit on the bed, then lay down. His arm slid around my waist and I couldn't help but smile.

"You make it so hard to be mad." I said rolling around to face him. He laughed a little and he started to rub my back. It almost seemed like he was purposefully avoiding where he had found the bruises.

"And you make it hard to not be mad sometimes." He grinned. "Why won't you tell me the truth? Why are there finger tip shaped bruises on your body?"

I looked down, then rolled back over, facing the wall. I closed my eyes and the only thing I could see was Billy.

"Why won't you tell me, Maya?"

"Because you'll get mad at me! You'll get really upset and mad and... leave." I sat up and faced Lucas, looking him in the eyes.

"Why would I get mad? Why do you think I would leave?"

"Please just... trust me? You're trying to stop getting so angry, and by not telling you, it keeps you from getting really really mad."

"Maya if someone hurt you there's a reason to be really really mad. There's a reason to get mad if someone put their hands on you while no one was there to help you! Did you at least tell your mom?"

"No..." I was looking at my lap, and shook my head in response.

"What the hell- Maya!"

"Lucas, it's fine! Nothing bad happened, nothing worth mentioning happened! If it were really bad, I would tell you!" My face felt hot and my eyes were stinging.

"How can you- Why do you want to keep this to yourself? You're crying, Maya!"

"Really?" I sniffled, looking up at him.

"Don't start." Lucas sneered. "Come on, ba-" Lucas stopped himself, but I knew what he was planning on saying. I got up off my bed, walking out of the room and into the living room. I slipped my shoes on, then I saw Lucas was coming towards me.

"Maya I didn't mean to! You said you liked it when I called you babe for the first time, what happened?"

"Lucas stop." I pushed past him for the door, but he grabbed my right wrist, luckily not my left. Pain shot up my arm and I tried to pull back from him. When he realized I was trying to pull away, he let go.

We made eye contact, causing me to panic. I tried to make it out the door again, but failed. Lucas shut the door and was standing so close to me I could almost feel his heart beating.

He grabbed my sleeve and rolled it up. "What the hell!" I leaned my head back against the door and closed my eyes tightly. "Maya this isn't from hitting a mirror!"

"I know!" I shouted, pushing his chest, he didn't even budge.

"Does your other wrist look like this?"

"No..." I was technically telling the truth... My left wrist has cuts on it...

"Let me see..."