Chapter Nine

As I walked to the subway to meet Riley, the temperature seemed to be dropping! I mean I know it's New York but jeez.

"Hey, Maya!" Riley smiled.

"Did you and Farkle hang out after school yesterday?" I asked.

"Yeah." She smiled. "We went out to eat and then we went back to his house." She was blushing and fluttering her eyelashes.

"You're really into this huh?"

"What?" She laughed, snapping back to reality.

"Mr. and Mrs. Minkus." I winked.

"Don't say that! He hasn't even asked me out!" She tried to sound angry.

"He will, he's wanted to for many years."

"What about you and Lucas?" She exclamed, changing the subject.

"What about us?" I laughed. We got off the subway and walked the rest of the way to school.

"You guys are good for eachother. You got an A on the English project, Maya. His eyes, they light up when he's around you, or when you talk to him."

"They do?" I questioned. We walked into the classroom and Lucas, who usually gets there before Riley and I, wasn't in his seat.

"They do." Riley assured me.

Where's Lucas? Mr. Matthews has started class already and it's quite obvious that hes not going to be coming during this class period.

When the bell rang for us to change classes, I pulled out my phone and texted Lucas.

Riley was trying to assure me that he was probably just sick, but there was a little voice in the back of my head telling me that something much different was going on.

Lucas: I'll be back at school tomorrow.

Me: Lucas that's not what I asked! where. are. you.

I got to chemistry and the seat next to me was empty, because Lucas and I were lab partners. I couldn't check my phone for the whole forty-five minute class or else I risk getting it taken away.

"Maya relax, Lucas is fine." Farkle said walking over to my table and putting a hand on my shoulder.

I'm surprised he's not working on the assignment. Usually everyone is talking or up walking around to get equipment and he's working hard on whatever assignment we get.

"How do you know?" I sighed, tapping me pencil eraser on the desk.

"He's a strong guy, physically and mentally, he can handle anything that comes his way." Farkle said.

"Yeah, Maya, Farkle is right, don't worry too much about Lucas. He said he'll be back tomorrow."

I sighed and finished copying the notes out of our textbook.

At the end of the day, I still hadn't gotten a text back from Lucas, so I decided to walk to his apartment.

When I knocked on the door, no one came to answer it and that's when I started to get worried again.

Leaving his apartment building, I called Lucas' cell phone and I didn't get an answer, so I texted him again.

Me: Lucas where the heck are you! I know you're not at your house because I was just there! you have no idea how much anxiety I have because of you right now!!