Chapter Four

"Mama, I'm home." I heard the scurrying of feet then Lucas' mother appeard, smelling of laundry detergent.

"Maya, sweetie, how have you been?" She hugged me and I wrapped my arms around her to give her a hug back.

"I've been good, Mrs. Friar, how have you been?" I smiled because it's hard not to smile around Lucas' mom. She puts off a very happy, cheerful vibe.

"Good, good. Busy." She replied with a chuckle.

"If you two are hungry I'll fix some lunch after I finish up some laundry, sound good?" She said on her way back to the source of the detergent smell.

"Yes ma'am." Lucas' and I said simultaneously.

"Maya I gotta work on my part of the project, you can stay and chat with my mom if ya want." He turned his back to me and started walking to his room.

"I'll come with you!" I Cheered, skipping to catch up with him.

"It'll be awhile, Maya."

"Look, Billy Bob, as much as I love your mom, I don't feel like discussing horses and Texas for an hour."

Lucas opened his bedroom door and I followed him through the frame.

He sat at his desk and pulled out paper and pens and sticky notes. I sat one his bed and sat criss cross, grabbing on of his pillows to place on my lap.

He started writing and all I could hear was his pencil led hitting the wooden desk. I looked around and then looked down at the pillow in my laugh.

I picked up the pillow and chucked it in Lucas' direction. It hit him in the back of the head.

He slowly turned around in his chair and glared at me.

"What was that for?" He asked.

"Fun." I smiled.

"Well that wasn't very-"

"I can't hear you, ba-da-da-da-da-da-da-da!" I sang, interrupting him.

"Very funny, Maya." He laughed spinning back around to get back to work.

I layed back on his bed and grabbed a plastic basket ball he had sitting on the foot of his bed.

I began to toss it up, then catch it before it could fall onto my face.

I did this for a good bit of time.

I threw the orange ball up and put my hands infront of my face to catch it. Somehow it managed to slip through my hands and hit me in the face.

I started laughing at myself as I threw the ball across the room because it hurt me.

"You hurt you self didn't you?" Lucas asked, not even turning around or looking up.

"It attacked me!" I defended myslef.

"Likely story." He said. He spun around in his chair and was laughing at me.

"You're so mean! It could have broken my nose!" I declared dramatically.

"Awh, poor baby." He pouted his lip out and got up out of his chair and exited his room.

I got up and followed him out of the room and when I finally caught up to him I looked up and glared at him.

"You left me in there alone with the evil ball that attacked me." I said.

"My sincerest apologies."

"You're pushing it, Billy Bob."

"I'll take that risk, Pancake."