Chapter Fourteen

When I woke up, it was about three in the morning, and I guess Lucas had gone home. I didn't intend on falling asleep, I guess it just happened.

I walked out into the living room and into the kitchen to see what we had to eat or drink. Nothing, at least nothing that seemed good to me at the moment. I heard an intake of breath from the living room and wondered if my mom had fallen asleep on the couch.

"Mom?" I whispered. With no reply, I walked into the living room and turned on a lamp by the couch.

"Lucas?" I said a little louder than before. It was still a whisper, but I thought he had went home!

"Shhh." He replied. I picked up a pillow off the couch and threw it at his back. He rolled over and looked at me. "I have feelings you know?" He joked.

"Sometimes." I smiled. "I thought you went home?" Lucas sat up on the couch and I sat next to him, leaning my head on his arm.

"Why would I? You didn't want me to leave so I didn't. I stayed in your room for awhile, but you eventually fell asleep and I got a bit tired too. Your mom said it was fine if I slept here."

"How did you know I was asleep, and what about your mom?" I laughed.

"I told her and she said as long as I get to school tomorrow it's fine, and you snore a little." He laughed.

"Oh my god, ew! That's so gross!" I covered my face with my hands and laughed slightly.

"It's really not bad, it's not loud. It's more like a quite, little, faint snore." He tried to make me feel better, but it didn't work. "Why'd you get up?" He asked.

"Well, sorry to disturb you Ranger Rick, but I was thirsty." I smiled, pushing myself off of him.

"Wanna go get hot chocolate?" He grinned. For having just woken up, he seems very happy.

"I don't have any money, Lucas."

"Don'd worry about it, do you wanna go or not?"

"I mean yeah...but-" Before I could even think about finishing my sentence, Lucas was dragging me out of my apartment. "You know neither of us grabbed jackets right?" I pointed out.

"Well, I guess we better hurry up and get there huh?" He winked. Lucas started jogging and I was running behind him to keep up with him. When we finally got to the cafe, I was so out of breath and I was barely cold anymore. There was barely anyone in the cafe, seeing as it was about three thirty in the morning!

"Two hot chocolates please." Lucas said as a lady came to our table. Lucas was fiddling his thumbs until our drinks arrived, which didn't take long. I immediately took a sip of mine.

The whipped cream on top of the drink was always so perfect looking, almost like it's some kind of art. Like someone really took their time doing it.

"Maya." Lucas said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I looked up at him and smiled. Maybe he wouldn't noticed how I zoned out... again.

"Are you okay?" He asked seriously.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I smiled.

"You've been zoning out all day, and you fell asleep in Mr. Matthews class."

"I promise, Lucas, I'm fine." I laughed, I took another sip of my hot chocolate and avoided eye contact with Lucas.

"Maya, you'd tell me if something was wrong.. wouldn't you?" His face showed genuine concern. I wanted to tell him everything I could possibly tell him, but I couldn't bring myself to it, not right now.

"Of course I would." I smiled. My smile was interupted by a yawn, and Lucas sighed.

"You're not telling me something, and I'm going to find out what it is." He set his cup down on the table and looked at me.

"Be my guest, Huckleberry." I continued to drink my hot chocolate, trying to keep warm.

Lucas folded his arms on the table, leaning forward, and kept his eyes on me. I looked around the cafe, trying to avoid his gaze.

"Stop." I said. He didn't. He kept his eyes locked with mine and I looked down at my cup.

"Can we go back to my house? I'm tired." I finally broke the silence and stood up, cup in hand.

"Fine." He gave up. Lucas followed me out the door and as we were walking, he draped his arm over my shoulder. "I'm gonna find out ya know?"

I didn't answer. I kept my gaze forward and continued walking. My hot chocolate was gone and it was four o'clock in the morning when we got back to my apartment. Lucas went to lay back down on the couch and I stood infront of him.

"Get up." I laughed.

"Excuse me?" He was noticably confused.

"Come on." I held out my hand and motioned for him to follow me to my room.

"Maya, I'm fine on the couch."

"I've slept on that couch, it's not that comfortable, trust me, a bed is more comfortable and you won't wake up all stiff." I crawled to the far side of my bed near the wall and sat criss cross. "Ya comin'?"

Lucas shook his head, chuckling, and sat down next to me. I smiled to myself and layed back onto my pillow.

"You're cute." He smiled as he layed on his side, facing me.

"You're pretty cute yourself, Ranger Rick." I rolled onto my side, facing him and propped my head on my hand. "We have to be up for school in like two hours." I sighed.

"We better get to sleep." Lucas breathed rolling over. I sighed and layed my head on my pillow.

I had been staring at the ceiling because I couldn't fall asleep and I looked over at Lucas, he was still facing away from me, but he rolled onto his back after a minute.

I rolled onto my stomach, holding myself up with my elbows, and looked down at Lucas. His hair was slightly messed up, but it kinda worked for him. His eyes were shut lightly, and his lips were parted a bit.

I smiled to myself as I looked at his face. A small smile appeared across his face for a split second, then his slightly parted lips and straight face came back. I laughed quietly.

I was starting to feel a bit tired, so I leaned down, lightly kissed his forehead and let myself fall off the support of my elbows onto my stomach. Lucas grumbled and I felt him move around and then I felt one of his arms resting on my back.

I didn't move and neither did he. His arm didn't move off my back and I closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep before seven.