Chapter Twenty-Three

I woke up to my phone going off like crazy! My text tone was going crazy and even a few calls.

"Hello?" I answered when I got a call again. I didn't look at the I.D or anything, and I could tell I came across as irritated and annoyed.

"Well hello to you too, Sunshine."

"What do you want, Lucas?" I chuckled when I realized it was him.

"It's nine o'clock. I told you I'd call when it's nine."

"It's nine?" I shouted. I slept all day?

"Yeah?"

"I went to sleep when I got home and I just woke up!" I wish I would have woken up at a decent time, and done something with my day!

"You should probably not sleep all day." He laughed.

"You should probably not wake people up from a good sleep, but you did." I layed back onto my pillow and pulled the collar of his shirt up to my nose again. "How was your first day in Texas?"

"It was nice, I'm having a good time so far." I could tell he was smiling and I could hear other voices behind his.

"You with your family?"

"Yeah. I was walking through the kitchen. Family dinner is a big thing here." I heard a door shut on his end of the phone and I sighed.

"Must be nice."

"Yeah, it's nice to sit down at the end of the day and just talk."

I didn't say anything. I couldn't think if the last time I had a sit-down-together family dinner. I have with Riley's family, and I love them, but it would be nice to have one with my mom.

"You should go eat something." Lucas said.

"I will later, I promise."

"Lucas, your Mama wants you." I heard someone say.

"I'll be back, Maya." He sighed.

I layed in my bed, waiting for Lucas to return to the phone, and I heard the phone get picked up off of whatever it was left on.

"Hello?"

"Hi?" It didn't sound like Lucas' voice.

"So you're Maya?"

"Yes I am."

"Lucas speaks very highly of you, Missy."

"He does?" I sat up and ran my hand through my hair.

"Yes ma'am. I know ya'll haven't been together long, but he doesn't seem like the old Lucas."

"Well, he has amazing friends over here in New York. People change people."

"You guys changed Lucas for the best."

"Yeah, Huckleberry's been doing pretty well."

"Huckleberry?"

"Asher what're you doing?" I heard Lucas say.

"Gotta go little lady." Asher said and I heard the phone fall into something.

"Hey sorry, that's my neighbor. He's here for dinner a lot. What'd he say?"

"Nothing really. He said you seem like you've changed and I said you have some great friends here in New York."

"Can't argue with that." He laughed.

"Lucas he seemed really impressed with you. Don't blow it while you're in Texas." I said. I seemed like al mother almost, but he really doesn't need to go back to beating peoppe up as al solution to problems.

"I wont." He chuckled. I could here more people again on his end of the call. "I gotta go, Maya."

"Okay, have a nice dinner." I layed back down onto my pillow and pulled my blankets up over my body.

"Love you." He breathed.

"Love you." He hung up and I threw my phone on the pillow next to me. Guess I should try to go to bed and wake up at a normal time tomorrow morning.