Chapter Twenty-Eight

I woke up, rubbing my eyes and stretching. It's probably noon and Lucas' flight wouldn't be here until six.

Six more hours.

I checked my phone and I had a text from Lucas.

Lucas: I know you're probably asleep but I wanted to let you know I can't wait to see you tomorrow.(:

I smiled, texting him back because I was asleep when he texted me that. I sat up and looked around my room. Through the window I could see even more snow falling outside.

I walked into the bathroom and turned the water on in the shower, waiting for it to get hot. When I stepped into the shower, the water fell down my body and I ran my hands through my hair.

My hips were still bruised, as were my wrists, and I tried not to pay much attention to them while washing my hair and my body.

I got out of the shower, wrapping myself in a towel, and looked in the mirror. Still had the unwanted bruise under my collar bone, and I sighed, walking back to my room.

I slipped a pair of jeans on, but they were a bit loose, so I put a belt on. I put Lucas' shirt on with a long sleeve under it, and layed back down on my bed. Having a bit of time to waste, I closed my eyes.

I opened my eyes and checked the time on my phone. Five o'clock! My mom would be home any minute and she would be ready to leave for the airport! How the heck did I fall asleep?

I quickly jumped up and ran a brush through my hair and quickly put some makeup on. I checked my phone as I waited for my curling wand to heat up.

I knew my mom was on her way home from work and I started to put loose waves in my hair.

"Maya I'm home, let's go." I heard my mom shout.

"Coming!" I unplugged my wand, grabbed my phone and a jacket and ran out the front door, following my mom down to the car.

"Are you excited?" My mom asked about half way through the drive.

"Yes." I grinned. I stared out the window at the passing buildings and cars until I decided to rest my eyes.

I listened to the sound of the cars passing by and the quiet music that was playing from our car radio. l noticed the car slowing down and I opened my eyes. My mom was looking for a parking space and I checked the time on my phone.

Six o'clock.

"Mom hurry, it's six!" I was practically bouncing in my seat as she pulled into a parking spot. I got out and we payed for parking, walking into the airport. It took awhile to find the luggage claim where Lucas had told me his bags would be.

"Okay, Maya, I'm gonna go now, you sure you're okay here until they get off?" My mom asked. I was still searching the flow of people coming down the hall and I nodded.

I watched as my mom walked towards the exit and disappeared into a flood of people. I leaned back in my chair, checking my phone.

I looked back up and my eyes widened and a smile came across my face when I saw Lucas and his mother walking toward the luggage claim.

I stood up, walking towards Lucas and I'm sure I was grinning like an idiot, but so was he, so It's okay.

His smile dropped a bit as he looked me head to toe, but I didn't really mind. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his wrapped around my waist. At first his hug was tight, but he loosened his grip slightly.

"How was your trip?" I asked as we walked towards their car.

"It was good." Lucas and his mother said at the same time. As we got into their car and headed to Lucas' house, I was looking out of the window. I could feel Lucas staring at me, but I didn't mind him too much.

I helped them unload their luggage and bring it into their house, taking the suit cases to the washer and dryer to be washed. Lucas grabbed my hand, pulling me into his room and he shut the door.

"You lied, Maya."

"About what?" I laughed. I pulled my sleeves down, one, because I was cold, two, because I didn't want them to slip up and Lucas to see my cuts or bruises.

"Eating! There's no possible way you can skip one meal and have there be a noticable difference in your appearance. You lied to me, Maya."

Lucas' voice cracked a bit and my heart sank. I wanted to come clean and tell him everything that happened while he was gone, but I couldn't.

"I'm sorry."

"Maya I can't help you if you don't want me to help."

"No, I want you to help I just... I was sick! I couldn't keep anything down! I'll admit I didn't eat as much as I lead you to believe I did, but it's hard when-"

"When what?" Lucas interupted. I wanted to say when you get kissed by your old friend, but I couldn't put that on Lucas. That's between Billy and I.

"When you're sick." I lied.

"Come here..." Lucas held his arms out and I sighed, walking into his chest and holding back tears. "When I see a noticable difference in your body, it really makes me upset because you don't see what I see." Lucas' arms were wrapped around my shoulders and I wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Is it really that noticable?" I asked, almost hopeful.

"Maya," He pulled away from me and put his hands on my shoulders. "when we hugged at the airport, I could feel your ribs. Not too bad, but I could feel them. I was scared I was going to hurt you!"

"Oh." I looked down and picked at my fingernails. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, Maya."

"But-"

"No. You told me the truth and that's very important to me. You have nothing to apologize for."

Except for the fact that I didn't tell you the truth...