Chapter Twelve

"Ring power?" I said hesitantly as Riley and I sat in her bay window.

"Ring power." She smiled. I dropped my hand and sighed before spilling my guts.

"Riley, Lucas asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday." I slowly turned to look at her face, but I couldn't read her emotions too well.

"He did?" She smiled.

"He did." I breathed letting a smile appear on my face. "And I said yes." I kept my eyes on her but she looked away from me. I couldn't tell if I hurt her or made her sad, but I need to make sure she's okay with me dating Lucas before it continues.

"Does that bother you, Riley?" I asked.

"No, not at all." She tried to smile but I could tell it was fake.

"Drop the act, Matthews and tell me what's wrong right now." I demanded.

"I don't want anyone to get hurt. He's really sweet and there's a lot more to you than you lead on, Maya. Someone's going to end up hurt." Riley seemed to genuinely be concerned. I searched her face. I could tell she wasn't acting like this because she still like Lucas, she really didn't want either Lucas or I to get hurt.

"Riley I can handle whatever comes my way. Haven't I already?" I laughed.

"Kind of." She shrugged.

"What does that mean?"

"Your father. You couldn't forgive your father, Maya." She was talking with her hands and she was walking towards me.

"How could I, Riley! You said Lucas told you what he said about me, how could you think I could possibly forgive him after that! He's also been gone for about nine years of my life, Lucas has been here for two years, though a short period of time, I know he'll be there when I need him."

"What about me? You'll still be my best friend won't you? Even when you and Lucas get married and have little Huckleberry children and move away from New York?"

I laughed at her outlook on my future and pulled her into a hug. "Yes, Riles. You'll always be my best friend no matter what happens between me and Ranger Rick, bad or good."

"I love you, Maya."

"I love you too, Riley."

"So, what about Mr. and Mrs. Minkus?" I grinned, slowly pulling apart from our hug.

"Nothing new. We've been out in a few dates, we're really comfortable with eachother. He just hasn't asked me to be his girlfriend yet?"

"But when he does you'll say yes right?" I wanted to make sure no one was leading anyone on, or using someone to get over someone.

"Of course!" She smiled. "He's such a gentlemen. As much as Lucas tried to be a gentlemen for me, it just comes naturally for Farkle. He doesn't have to go out of his way to do it."

"I understand. He's like a prince and you're a princess." I stated. Riley nodded in agreement and grabbed her purse off her dresser.

"Want to go get something to eat?" She asked.

"I'm not really hungry, but I'll come with." I smiled.

We walked to Topanga's and sat at a booth. Riley ordered a muffin and some hot chocolate and I decided to order hot chocolate too.

"Hey girls, what's new?" Topanga asked.

"Oh, nothing m-"

"Lucas and Maya are dating!" Riley blurted out, cutting me off.

"Maya?" Riley's mom questioned, shocked almost.

"It's true, I got me a cowboy." I smiled. I sipped my drink and watched as people flowed in from the streets.