Chaper Twenty-One

I couldn't sleep. I don't know what time it was. Lucas was asleep next to me, and I was staring at the ceiling.

I sighed, rolling over to face Lucas. He was laying on his side, facing me. He stired and his eyes opened a little, then closed again.

"Why are you up?" He grumbled. He didn't move or open his eyes again. I could hear the sleepiness in his voice and I felt bad for waking him up.

"I dunno, can't sleep." I replied. Lucas put an arm around me and pulled me into his chest. I smiled to myself, but I was also shocked at how much strength he had in one arm.

"Staying awake won't make tomorrow any different, no matter how much you think about it. What's supposed to happen will happen." I could feel his chest vibrating from the words he was speaking, and I laughed.

"Even when you're half asleep you sound like a fortune cookie." I moved around a bit, but stayed close to Lucas, and I breathed in the smell of his shirt. "I'm going to miss this." I grabbed a fistful of his shirt tightly and inhaled the scent again.

"What?" Lucas asked.

"I don't know just... the smell of your clothes. Is that weird?" I asked laughing.

"No, I get it." He laughed. He threw the blankets off of hum and got up, opened his closet, grabbed a t-shirt off a hanger, and tossed it to me.

"Thanks, Lucas." I said quietly. He crawled back into bed and we both layed down.

"Now go to bed Princess Penelope." I smirked and rolled over to face the wall, holding Lucas' shirt tight. I felt his hand wrapped around my waist and, again, pulled me closer to him. I turned a little to look at him and he looked at me as well.

"Hey, you get a t-shirt, this is all I got." I chuckled and turned away from him. His fore arm tightened around me for a second then loosened again.

As comforting as Lucas' arm around me and the smell of his shirt were, I still couldn't fall asleep! I wish I hadn't left my phone on the couch...

I closed my eyes and I knew if I didn't try to get at least some sleep, I'd be a wreck tomorrow.

My back was pressed against Lucas' chest and I could feel his heart beating. It was slow and steady... relaxing almost.

"Maya I have to tell you something." Riley blurted out. We sat at her bay window and she had been figgity the whole time.

"Anything Riles." I smiled. She took a deep breath before looking around the room, looking down at her hands, her feet, anywhere but my eyes. "Riley what's wrong?"

"I... I still like Lucas." She furrowed her eyebrows and her sentence came across as more of a question rather than a statement.

"What?" I was shocked! She's dating Farkle. Farkle is completely in love with her and I thought she felt the same way!

"I'm sorry, Maya! I don't want to hurt you or Lucas, but I though you needed to know how I was feeling."

Now it was me looking around the room, my hands, my feet, anywhere but Riley's big brown eyes.

"Why have you been telling Farkle you love him if you didn't mean it?" I shouted. Why would she just play him like that!?

"Maya I do love Farkle! I just... still kind of like Lucas."

"I don't understand."

"Maya I know you love him and he loves you, I just need to figure something out, see something, hear something... something so I know that I'm completely over Lucas."

"I-I don't know what to say to you. If seeing your best friend happy isn't enough to make you realize your feelings I don't know what is! I know it's enough for me!"

"What do you mean, Maya? You liked Farkle?"

"No, but I kind of liked Charlie when he asked you to the dance and when I saw how happy you two were together I knew right then that my feelings for him were nothing!"

"I had no idea, Maya. I'm sorry."

"For what? I don't like Charlie, I don't like Farkle. There's nothing to be sorry for..."

"Maya-"

"Riley... if you want me to... I'll tell Lucas I can't be with him anymore..."

"What? Maya no!"

"Riley I want you to be happy! Your happiness, your smile, they mean the world to me!"

"And your happiness means the world to me too! And I think I just figured out how I feel about Lucas..."

"You still like him huh?"

"No. You care so much about my happiness you were willing to give up your only source of constant happiness. For me. That's a huge sacrifice, Maya. I love Lucas... as a friend, nothing more."

"Riley... I really like Lucas... but don't think for a minute he comes before you. You're my number one source of happiness."

"Thanks, Peaches." Riley smiled.

"Anytime, Sweetie."