Chapter Seven

"Let her go you ass hole." I heard a deep, angry, raspy voice yell.

Lucas.

I turned around and I guess I had let a few tears, of frustration, fall without even knowing it.

"What did you do to her?" Lucas demanded, jogging over and stepping between my dad and I.

He looked over my arm where my father had grabbed me and looked me from head to toe, all while his hands rested on my shoulders.

"I don't have to answer to some eighth grader." He spit at Lucas.

"How do you know we're in eighth grade?" I asked as I ran my fingers under my eyes.

"Your mother told me."

"Look, just stop trying to 'get to know' Maya because I know, I know some thing's not right about you." Lucas said. He wrapped one of his muscular arms around my shoulder and pulled me as close to him as he could.

"Lucas it's fine." I said looking up at him, I didn't move away though. I'll admit, my dad was kind of scaring me, and I didn't feel scared while Lucas was around.

Like at Topanga's, I wasn't worried about my dad even though I had some thoughts in my head about what he could or might do.

"Yeah, Lucas. It's fine." My dad smirked, taking a step closer to us both.

"Why'd you try to pick Maya up from school today?" Lucas asked. My eyes widened and my mouth opened slightly.

How did he know about that? I told him they called the wrong person and I made sure he didn't hear me tell Riley the truth.

"Does it concern you?" My dad asked.

"It does. You've made Maya feel bad since your sorry ass left her and her mom. She hides how she feels everyday, but it bothers her! What kind of a father wants that for their daughter?" Lucas screamed. He took a step towards my father and I, again, noticed his jaw clenched at the end of his fit.

"Lucas don't." I stepped towards him and grabbed his upper arm, trying to pull him away from my dad.

"Maya, your little boyfriend here seems to think he's all that, huh?" My dad chuckled.

"He's n-"

"Why don't you just go back to wherever you came from. You're not the guy Maya needs in her life." Lucas started to clench his fists and I took notice very quickly.

I jumped onto his back so he was forced to hold my legs, not use his hands to hit someone.

"Lucas I swear if you hit I'm I'll never speak to you again." I whispered in his ear.

I heard Lucas' breathing start to slow down gradually, but he was still breathing deeply. I slid off his back after awhile, but kept one hand on his arm.

"I think you should go." I said looking into my dad's eyes.

He tucked his hands into his pockets and walked one way and I took Lucas by the arm and had to drag him in the other direction.

"Lucas, why'd you come here." I asked, we were walking towards my house and he still hadn't calmed down yet.

"If you wouldn't have hung up on me I could've finished my sentence. I said if you hang up I'll come and find you."

"Why?" I laughed slightly.

"I've told you many times Maya, I don't like you dad!"

"I've don't either but I don't want to fight him!" I shouted back, unlocking my front door and walking in. Lucas followed and I locked the door behind him.

"I wasn't actually going to hit him" Lucas growled.

"Oh really, when did you decide that? Before of after I threatened not to talk to you again?" I yelled.

"Neither!" Lucas shouted. I furrowed my eyebrows and leaned against a wall, propping one of my feet up on it.

"I didn't want you to see what I'm trying to fix! I wasn't going to let you see me beating the shit out of someone, especially your dad! I know you'd get scared and leave! You're too precious to lose!" Lucas screamed, I'm sure it was as loud as he could.

My eyes widened at his words because I thought he liked Riley. He's admitted to me he liked Riley!

"Lucas stop! You don't like me, You have never liked me and you will never like me! I know you like Riley!"

"Jesus, Maya!" Lucas slammed one of his hands on the wall and ran his hands through his hair. "I like Riley as a friend! Nothing more!"

"So what you like me?" I said sarcastically.

"I don't know! I don't know what I feel! All I know is if your dad lays another finger on you, you better tell me."

"Lucas that's ridic-"

"Maya just promise me!" Lucas came towards me and pinned my arms to the wall. My foot that had been propped up had now fallen to the floor. He wasn't holding my arms hard though. I could slip my wrists out of his grip If I wanted to.

"I- I-" I couldn't get the words out, I was still in shock at Lucas' actions!

"Maya, I don't know what I would do if your fucked up father hurt you any more than he already has! He's not the kind of guy you need in your life!" He said the same thing to my dad..

"You're not the guy Maya needs in her life!"

"And you are?" I half smiled, letting a small chuckle slip from my lips.

"Maya I like you." Lucas said.

"Lucas." I breathed. "What about-"

"Stop! Why can't you think about Maya Hart for once! You deserve more than you have!"

"Lucas, you don't l-"

He kissed me. In the middle of my sentence. He pushed his lips against mine, almost like he couldn't hold back anymore.

He still had my arms up against the wall, but slowly he let go of my arms and grabbed my face in both of his hands.

I moved my hands to rest on top of his and I kissed him back. He's right. I need to think about myself every now and again, and... I don't know, I might have feelings for Lucas...

When he pulled away, a few seconds later, he dropped one hand from my cheek to my shoulder, and kept the other resting on my face.

"Why'd you do that?" I whispered.

"Do you believe me?" Lucas asked.

"Believe what?"

"I like you, Maya. If that didn't prove it I don't know what will." He laughed. He dropped his second hand to my shoulder and rubbed my arms.

I bit my lip, thinking of a semi-clever response for his statement.

"I dunno, Huckleberry. That was my first kiss, so I'm not sure if that's what that feels like or not." I turned and started to walk away from him.

He slid his hand down my arm, as I got about a foot away from him, his and was in mine and he pulled me back to where I was before.

"First kiss, eh?" Lucas smirked.

"Why so surprised?" I asked.

"Not surprised. I think happy, or pleased would be more fitting." He said.

"Whatever." I laughed.