Forty: New Year's Sorry

I was weak.

For coming home, tearing my dress off, throwing on some pyjamas and crawling under my dark red covers to hide from the world.

Jason came around midnight, knocked on my windows for around an hour with every apologetic word under the sun.

When I shouted that I wanted to be alone, he left. Not before reminding me. Before saying those three words as a last chance.

"You want to harvest them, or destroy them?" My sister's voice snaps my from my reverie. She grins, munching on her chips.

I look down at my garden, where I am clearing the frost off of the leaves. They're a little bit maimed because I'm so angry.

"Sorry plants," I murmur, standing up and ditching my gloves at the ground. I storm back into the living room with Gin dawdling behind, shutting the door.

"What time are you picking Menoly up from the airport?" She asks, collapsing on the couch.

"Not until around 11:00 tonight. Why?" I answer, reaching for the wine bottle.

"You're driving to the airport at 11:00pm, on New Years, in Gotham?" She specifies.

"Yes. I have no choice. It's when the plane gets in."

Gingers grins to herself, "It's funny dad doesn't trust me enough to pick up Nolly from the airport."

"If dad asked you it'd still be me going, because I'd get a call from Nolly an hour after you were supposed to pick her up," I reply, walking over to the kitchen.

"You and dad have little faith."

"With reason," I snap. She grins.

"Let me tell you a story about the worry wort and the sceptic," she throws her usual line at me, putting more food into her mouth. I begin working on lunch for myself when the elevator buzzes. I unlock the lobby door without checking who it is.

Which, I realise in two seconds, was a bad idea.

The doors slide open to reveal Jason standing there, hands in his pockets. Damian is with him. He walks straight in, making a bee-line for Kira and Levi.

Ginger looks at me, standing frozen like a deer in headlights.

I'm not a child. I'm old enough to sort out my problems. 

With a heavy sigh, I jerky my head to the balcony and Jason nods, walking across the kitchen and living room, outside.

I glance at Ginger, before following him, sliding the door shut behind me.

I fold my arms tightly and turn towards him. I can see panic in his eyes and he looks like he's grinding his teeth.

"I'm sorry," he gets out softly. I don't say anything. I don't move. I don't even blink. He rubs the back of his neck, taking a step closer to me. "There's this shipment, coming from Arabia. There's something in there meant for me. Only Talia knew where it was. I knew I needed to act a certain way to get the location out of her."

He looks guilty, staring at the floor.

"Then you tell me," I say quietly, before my volume builds with my anger level. "You tell me that because that's what people in relationships do," I say, unfolding my arms to place them on my hips. I know he doesn't understand this type of stuff though. "I know your new to this. But Jay, in the future, tell me things. Communication is the most vital thing."